joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ice/Wintery Mix Event 3/1

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holding at 31 for past two hours. Accretion between .1" and .2"? It varies, depending on surface, and it's hard to get a decent pic right now without a too-light background. Most mature trees starting to like this around my house, pine trees getting especially droopy...

45rqgsMl.jpg

I used the flash and used a tree with a dark pine tree in the background. I wish I knew how to post pictures. I'm not sure if it's possible with a phone?

According to weatherbug I've dropped from 31 to 29 in the past 30 minutes. Very icy out this way. Best I've seen in this area in some years.

Can't be, must be total precip.

yes total precip.

do agree we're on the cusp of starting to see tree issues based on imby viewing and local reports. will be interesting to see if it can keep rolling a few more hours esp with sunset. after questioning wsw seems it will probably end up justified even in the city.. climo gets me again. :P

eta: dca up to 34 now..

Starting to hear cracking outside. Figured I'd post a few photos of the ice.

First, here is where I measured 0.25" of ice on the tree. The measurement was from the branch top to the top of the ice, ignoring the ice below the branch:

IMG_5073.JPG

Second are two vegetation samples showing the spectacular nature of an ice storm:

IMG_5069.JPG

IMG_5072.JPG

And finally a picture of just how frozen the Chesapeake Bay is just north of the Bay Bridge. The lighthouse in the photo is the Baltimore Light, and is entirely encased in ice.

IMG_5070.JPG

Archived