joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ice/Wintery Mix Event 3/1

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Riddle me this one, Batman....... How is it that some of the ice on the top of my car's front windshield is melted, but icicles are still forming off the bottom of the car?

Maybe because it's shaded?

Believe it or not the NAM was the first model to lock into this solution and it was hour 72 and beyond when it did.

yeah it definitely seemed to adopt the idea early. nam is certainly believable (or leanable) on the temp side in these situations but precip is often another matter.

30 degrees with a long lull. Top of the car is melting big time. Road in front of my car is melting. Driveway is very VERY slippery, I really enjoyed sliding on it. Sidewalk is very icy. There looks to be a quarter inch of ice on the driveway. Man oh man I LOVED sliding on it!!!!!!!

I can only hold out hope that I get more ZR after 4pm. If I don't, well it was fun, on to the massive warming on Tue-Wed. If I do, tonight will be eminently fun, especially with heavy ice on trees then winds from the cold front late tonight.

There's a reason why major ice events are rare in eastern Prince William.

I really ENVY all you guys who live in far northern and western counties who will get to enjoy the full ice storm with zero mercy and get to have heavy ice on trees and maybe get to enjoy power outages with the winds with the frontal passage later tonight.

I really ENVY all you guys who live in far northern and western counties who will get to enjoy the full ice storm with zero mercy and get to have heavy ice on trees and maybe get to enjoy power outages with the winds with the frontal passage later tonight.

Enjoy power outages with temps in the low 30s. OK. 

real deal out this way.  temp 28 and frz rain.  went for a phineas walk (similar to jeb walk, but with fatter midsection and more cynical mindset).  cars encased, sidewalks very hazardous, and side streets very slippery.

should be fine once temps get to 31/32

Be careful out there. Worn bedroom slippers and pajama bottoms are not the right equipment for shuffling to the end of a slick driveway!

Very crunchy and crusty out there. Kinda nice, even tho I am not a fan of ice overall. If I am gonna get an ice storm, rather have it in March where its somewhat impotent. Dont believe it will build up on the trees during the day to where it will cause major problems. Kinda pretty at this point.

Be careful out there. Worn bedroom slippers and pajama bottoms are not the right equipment for shuffling to the end of a slick driveway!

You've seen me at the local bakery on Sunday haven't you?

Just travelled from Rockville to Baltimore via 495/95/695 

Mostly sleet at the start, rain for most of 95. Temps (according to my Prius outdoor temp) were 29 to 32 the whole way. I-95 was mostly clear with slush between lanes. Other roads more slushy, but we didn't encounter any serious ice on treated roads.  The car was covered with frozen rain, though.  Not pleasant driving overall, Speeds were about 40 mph most of the way, 50 on 695. 

I did have PJ bottoms, although covered by my patagonia climbing pants.  wore hiking boots instead of slippers.  may need to put the crampons on for next walk outside, at this rate.

although dc split seems to be rearing its head

Archived