• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ice/Wintery Mix Event 3/1

stormtracker

I think you all must have gotten it worse than me or something.  Maybe places farther south switched over the FZRA earlier when the surface temps were still in the 20s?  There's ice on the trees and some surfaces, but even my driveway isn't really too icy.  Mostly slushy after I shoveled. 

HRRR suggests we cool slightly overnight, but looks like it probably initialized a little cold. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you all must have gotten it worse than me or something.  Maybe places farther south switched over the FZRA earlier when the surface temps were still in the 20s?  There's ice on the trees and some surfaces, but even my driveway isn't really too icy.  Mostly slushy after I shoveled. 

HRRR suggests we cool slightly overnight, but looks like it probably initialized a little cold.

I'm with you

The key there is "shoveled".  I didn't have more than a trace of snow, so the driveway got icy more quickly.

It's like a bigger event in the trees and nothing happened on the roads. Neat but not sure who said we can't get ice in Mar etc. Much of the downplaying was the road impacts. ;)

The key there is "shoveled". I didn't have more than a trace of snow, so the driveway got icy more quickly.

Yup. And my driveway is an inclined hockey rink - virtually impossible to get up it without some sort of sharp walking stick-type thingy.

I have salt, but I'd much rather not use it if I can help it. This'll all be melted by tomorrow afternoon and no one walks down my side of the street in the morning.

It's like a bigger event in the trees and nothing happened on the roads. Neat but not sure who said we can't get ice in Mar etc. Much of the downplaying was the road impacts. ;)

You sounded like you were downplaying it earlier. I guess you are onboard now Ian :)

I'm with you

The key there is "shoveled".  I didn't have more than a trace of snow, so the driveway got icy more quickly.

That said, there's a pretty impressive buildup of ice on the tree limbs.  Just walked out into my front yard/driveway and almost got bumped in the head by tree limbs that shouldn't be at head-height. 

Temp up to 31.8F. 

Terrible conditions in my area; Reisterstown-Glyndon.

30 degrees, light freezing rain

After sunset, my driveway iced over dangerously.   This after shoveling and then

spreading a fair amount of calcium chloride.

I think the freezing rain over-performed due to

-light to calm winds

-ground temperatures are below freezing to a depth of 24 to 36 inches in many areas

-robust cold air damming

-dew point depression has held steady

:P

Another difference here vs the last event (and I think this could be the breadwinner) is the LLJ is actually weaker w/ a more westerly component this time, vs last weekend where we had a 70kt LLJ just a few thousand feet off the ground..nothing like that now. Less kinematic forcing could make the cold air harder to erode.

I believe everyone N/W of the fall line & east of the Blue Ridge stays below freezing for the entirety of the event, or close to it.

You sounded like you were downplaying it earlier. I guess you are onboard now Ian :)

A bit tho not super much? I had a byline on a cwg post yesterday saying it would be below freezing with freezing rain much of the day. I was impressed with the iciness here for sure so it was top end of my expectations for sure.

I'm certainly impressed. Way more ice on everything than I expected. My car is encased. My street still has crunchy slush on it. Another overperformer in our late winter heater. Now we need to maximize the wed-thurs deal and call it a wrap.

No way

Archived