Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16-17th Storm Banter Thread

Bob Chill

Radar hallucination time. 

I'm in.

Looking at the weenie radar, warm air is being pulled into the system in northern MS now and that trend will continue into TN this morning.  As a result, the low tracks a little bit further north than expected.  As the low exits the VA/NC coast, it slows and intensifies, and instead of heading out to sea, it tracks more to the northeast, closer to the MA coast, bringing the region a period of heavy snow during the early morning hours.  As a result, NYC gets more than currently forecasted, and even Boston gets snow (shocking).  Double digits in the DC area, 6-10" from the PA line and south into central MD.

:)

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are already contemplating hitting the road and heading over to the eastern shore. I feel pretty confident that we won't be working tomorrow, so it might be fun to travel. Either way, it's all good.

There is almost zero chance you have work tomorrow. You should go, it would be fun.

So does the UK model get some new cred in our subforum for steadfastly holding onto the first wave idea while the others switched to tomorrow night? As in, next season, people will be posting: "But remember, the UKIE scored the coup in the last February storm..."

It has always been a good model. The two knocks on it have been, lack of detailed panels and it supposedly is not great with winter storms.

In all seriousness, for those north of BWI, it may make sense to do a separate worrying/obs thread for the day so we don't ruin the regular banter and obs threads.

This is going to be a great event for a large part of the forum - don't want to ruin their enjoyment with worries over our backyards, maybe.

dont fret! its going to snow! :)

dont fret! its going to snow! :)

I always fret - you know that. I would fret a lot less if we were in the 10-14 range...that's for damn sure.

Just don't want to be staring out the window at 10:00 pm tonight at light flurries because the air is too dry and the best energy and lift has moved just far enough south to starve us.  That would suck.

I always fret - you know that. I would fret a lot less if we were in the 10-14 range...that's for damn sure.

Just don't want to be staring out the window at 10:00 pm tonight at light flurries because the air is too dry and the best energy and lift has moved just far enough south to starve us.  That would suck.

I know, Im with you - I'm worried about virga now lol

OK, well, try to enjoy it? 

In all seriousness, for those north of BWI, it may make sense to do a separate worrying/obs thread for the day so we don't ruin the regular banter and obs threads.

This is going to be a great event for a large part of the forum - don't want to ruin their enjoyment with worries over our backyards, maybe.

You are not ruining the storm. We understand your concerns. Sometimes these storms will develop a band well north. That may well happen in your case tonight.

Honestly I'm expecting 3-5", which would be more than what I've seen all year. The NAM and some other models might make slight shifts south that would cause anyone north of Baltimore to panic, but I don't think it will be less than 0.3" of QPF, which is all it takes for a warning event this time with 15:1 ratios.

I'm with ya. I just hope we can get a solid 4".

Is that too much to ask?

We may need a separate banter/obs thread for the northern and western fringe worriers.

I would pretend to be above that kind of worrying - but - in all honesty, hard not to be a little alarmed.

The central VA folks over to DCA and Annapolis down to Richmond should be hella stoked.

lol...That's DC every damn event for the last 20 events....we don't get our own obs thread to be babies...every once in a while south will do better than north...not rare, though not common....deal with it....

Was supposed to go skating yesterday but it was just too windy.  Would have ben miserable.  Am trying to convince the girls to go today tho...

I'm moving this here because I think it will be seen sooner than in the other banter thread.  Who's up for a skating party this afternoon?  Where's a good place on the canal to go?  We'd travel for sure. 

Archived