Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually am ok with going back in time and looking at analogs, but I feel like this would just be such a chore to find. What are the analogs for DC to go from lower teens to rain and 50's the next day and then back down to the teens the next day? 

I don't think it is terribly rare, though not common either....

1/2-4/1999 is a quasi example...we were under a very cold airmass and a low cut to our west and spiked us one day

at 10pm we were 21 and freezing rain and at 5am we were 55 and getting deluged....temp dropped that evening and the next day we didn't hit freezing.

Forgot, in CT we got up into the 40s with heavy rain during that day . 1/3/1999 was frigid the day before.

I don't think it is terribly rare, though not common either....

1/2-4/1999 is a quasi example...we were under a very cold airmass and a low cut to our west and spiked us one day

at 10pm we were 21 and freezing rain and at 5am we were 55 and getting deluged....temp dropped that evening and the next day we didn't hit freezing.

ninja'd

The moral of the weekend storm is, Get out and enjoy the snow, because come Sunday.......You know what they say: here one day, gone the next. 50 degrees plus soaking rain doesn't help snow, but it sure gets the gunk off of my car.

Those snow squalls need to annihilate the folks who missed out on the storm yesterday: BlizzardNole, psuhoffman and other hobbyists in Maryland. Because if we are going to get rained and warm weathered out this weekend, those Maryland ppl need to be crushed by snow squalls later today.

Pretty big changes on 6z GFS, things shifted quite a bit south and east... Still a rainer but at least not as warm... Another few shifts like this and we'd be back in business. Not quite giving up on the weekend yet since I don't think things will get fully resolved until after the next ocean storm forms.

I know it's an embarrassment of a model. But the ggem would be a nice front end thump on Saturday. So would the Nam if you wanna play that game.

notice how both of them have HP moving off the east coast further north than the other models which limits return warm flow enough to get a decent thump and more sleet/zr

In the early 1980s was in Ames, IA for a sleet bomb.  The forecast called for 18-24" of snow (which would have broken most or all records) but we ended up with ~5" of sleet.  Really enjoyed sloshing through it for the next several days. It didn't steam however as temperatures turned cold soon after.  Perhaps this one will be a sleet bomb for you westerners. 

I know everyone is focued on this next event, but the models last night are strongly hinting at a Miller B associated with a strong ULL diving down from Canada....The GFS was actually very close to a huge storm at 6z for the time frame of Feb 26-28th....Keep an eye out for it during todays 12z runs

EURO

xesGdxj.gif

GFS

Or8qds1.gif

GFS ENS

ErqiW15.gif

1vcOxtD.gif

I know everyone is focued on this next event, but the models last night are strongly hinting at a Miller B associated with a strong ULL diving down from Canada....The GFS was actually very close to a huge storm at 6z for the time frame of Feb 26-28th....Keep an eye out for it during todays 12z runs

EURO

xesGdxj.gif

GFS

Or8qds1.gif

GFS ENS

ErqiW15.gif

1vcOxtD.gif

Why would anyone here care or get excited for a Miller B?  Come on man...

Archived