joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the more important thing is that the euro is trending towards cold air/suppression winning the battle. GFS like the colder solution as well. This could be good. Low confidence but trends are nice right now.

ggem has it also. It could actually outsnow this snow

UKMET had one of the best looks on the front end at 0z last night, delivering 4-6 for DC and Baltimore. The GGEM is about 2-4, Euro 4-6. The GFS on the other hand warms 850's too quick to do anything for us in the snow department. Will be watching 12z to see where it goes. The storm is at d4.5 on the UK, so not entirely too far away. 

With a raging +AO, NAO, and a PNA that is set to tank, what's going to be keeping us cold as we get into March? Is the EPO alone really enough?

nope....we have the CFS2

interestingly, it is now putting some huge departures into the northern 2/3's of the US east of the Rockies centered in the upper plains

we are below normal, but not as far below as it depicted for FEB; it has been getting a little colder, and we'll need that to score in MAR unless the model is sniffing out cold in the east early in the month and then shifting it westward to the upper plains...idk, but that may be a reasonable guess in light of medium range guidance holding onto the current "coldest in the east/NE" pattern

another alternative is the SE ridge begins to flex its muscles, and that's possible too looking at the 850 anomaly map

usT2mMonInd1.gif

better news for snow in MAR is the precip map off the CFS2...pretty sweet I'd say

usPrecMonInd1.gif

With a raging +AO, NAO, and a PNA that is set to tank, what's going to be keeping us cold as we get into March? Is the EPO alone really enough?

Western ridge should break down for a bit by week 2. I think we will head to near normal for a while at least tho it is hard to argue against this general NH pattern we've seen for like 2 years now.

GFS would be pretty much and ice to rain event. Not a cad signal but cold air is wedged all the way down to GA as precip moves in. Will be easy to scour but could be a decent ice event before the flip if it goes down like that. 

There is a CWG article about DC's 5 biggest surprise snowstorms. One of them is from Jan. 1982. Horrible track for snow but there was so much cold that it ended up snowing a good amount despite the west track.

There is a CWG article about DC's 5 biggest surprise snowstorms. One of them is from Jan. 1982. Horrible track for snow but there was so much cold that it ended up snowing a good amount despite the west track.

That one cut all the way to Minnesota if I'm not mistaken. Crazy to see a cold snowstorm with that kind of track.

I don't have many thoughts on the track. Stronger storm goes west and weaker one could stay mostly south. Models have been looking juicier as we move forward. I think a mixed event is most likely. How much of each ptype is impossible to get a handle on. I definitely don't want the 12z gfs version. That's a lot of rain and I'm enjoying the winterscape too much to have it go down the sewer this weekend. 

GFS would be pretty much and ice to rain event. Not a cad signal but cold air is wedged all the way down to GA as precip moves in. Will be easy to scour but could be a decent ice event before the flip if it goes down like that. 

idk Bob, GFS may be a little late to the party on this one in light of the UKMet, CMC and Euro

otoh, it was first to the party in showing us getting a decent snow event and then switched     lol

or, it just might be that the GFS just hasn't quite figured what it wants to do

I guess it's going to be a whole lot of model run paranoia around here again this week

imho, as everything appears right now, the cold pattern is locked in so I'll be a weenie and go with a colder solution and then a flip

Archived