joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z gfs is another weenie run. Not showing direct hits but what a prime look @ h5. We may make a run for climo+ this year afterall. Not going to be easy and will need a ton of luck but I don't think we're done after the mon-tues deal. Euro ens very bullish on future chances but I haven't been that thrilled with them lately. 

I'm wondering if in fact the bullseye has shifted of sorts. If we get a second storm after the early week we can revisit the whole "atmospheric memory" thing. 

12z gfs is another weenie run. Not showing direct hits but what a prime look @ h5. We may make a run for climo+ this year afterall. Not going to be easy and will need a ton of luck but I don't think we're done after the mon-tues deal. Euro ens very bullish on future chances but I haven't been that thrilled with them lately. 

I'm wondering if in fact the bullseye has shifted of sorts. If we get a second storm after the early week we can revisit the whole "atmospheric memory" thing. 

Bob, the cold air is legit....no more 7-10 day maps. With all this cold air and the PV moving to Hudson Bay, south or west, we will have many chances and though we will not see numbers like the NE, we will likely beat averages. I'm pretty confident of that right now.

I don't think seasonal trends necessarily work all season. The angle of the cold has shifted. ;)

I was just going to comment on the mid-week cold blast. A week this cold in mid to late Feb. is probably a 1 in 30-40 year occurrence. 1934,1958,1979 and 2015?

Feb 1963 was pretty awesome out here. 7" snow and a 4" snow sandwiched by sub zero readings.

1986, 2007 were milding up by now. Will be interesting to see where this one ranks.

Nice to see the trough axis further west... I recall someone saying that if the plains are torching, then storms aren't going to take a favorable track for us. It's a much better look when all the warmth is west of the continental divide.

Nice to see the trough axis further west... I recall someone saying that if the plains are torching, then storms aren't going to take a favorable track for us. It's a much better look when all the warmth is west of the continental divide.

Yes, but what a strange standing pattern, we don't see a persistent vertical alignment to long wave troughs for so long of a period.

I am absolutely giddy about Feb 22-March 1st. I think there is a good shot for a MECS type event, with some small events mixed in. 

I think the GFS has looked quite interesting for the last ~1.5 weeks of this month.  It has hinted at something in that time period, primarily around the 22nd-23rd.  There's a lot of cold air around and nearby.

Got a kick out of this morning's meta extended discussion from LWX:

" ... I AM INTRIGUED BY THE 00Z
GFS WHICH HAS A ZONAL JET STREAK FROM THE MIDWEST TO THE NRN
MID-ATLANTIC. TIME AND AGAIN THE GFS PRESENTS THIS FOR A RUN OR TWO
IN THE WINTER AND THEN LATER RUNS PRODUCE A STORM SYSTEM...USUALLY A
NOTABLE ONE. PERHAPS THE GFS WILL COME IN LINE WITH THE ECMWF...BUT
FOR NOW WILL NOT MENTION THE CLASSIC "HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS THROUGH
THE WEEKEND"
WHICH IS A VALID ANALYSIS OF THE 00Z GFS SFC PATTERN ..."

I notice you are about to get a visit from the 492 dm thickness contour, current location northern Manitoba, with -35 C ambient temp, could it go below zero F on Thursday or Friday morning with all this incoming snow?

(edited, I tagged this for Wednesday originally but the coldest air would be Thursday morning)

Looks to me as though some rural areas particularly over heavier snow cover could drop to -10 F, urban sites maybe 5-10 F?

GFS still not buying the EURO solution for day 6-7, the EURO is phasing the canadian energy with the energy in the southwest but the GFS brings the ULL SE which could lock in the cold air for any wave that comes out

I haven't been paying as much attention beyond this current upcoming event, but I have had an eye on the Feb. 22-23 period.  That's shown up for a little while.  What did the Euro solution show (the day 6-7 that you mention)?  A cutter or something like that, or a potential good event?  Not that details are hugely important now, but curious.

I haven't been paying as much attention beyond this current upcoming event, but I have had an eye on the Feb. 22-23 period. That's shown up for a little while. What did the Euro solution show (the day 6-7 that you mention)? A cutter or something like that, or a potential good event? Not that details are hugely important now, but curious.

Basically a cutter with a bit of snow on the front end then rain and a spike into the 50's briefly before the next arctic front.

Archived