joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the euro and its ensembles busted pretty bad back in early Dec. with less lead time than this with what ended up being a non storm. 

do you think this could be a case of it holding too much energy back in the sw?

hey Kirby,

funny, i was thinking the same thing.  it has a noted bias of holding energy back in the Southwest, and often corrects inside 72.  that surely would help to pump height out ahead and let this puppy come further north than depicted on the Euro.  I hope so anyways.

Nut

Give me 3-5 inches and I am happy.

Pretty modest expectations. Angela T is looking for 4-6 and mapgirl won't be happy with anything less than 6-8. Beyond that it's diminishing returns (although I hear trixie is fine with 8-12 as she has a lot of experience with big events). Everyone should get in on the wind and cold, if we are to believe the modeling.

Pretty modest expectations. Angela T is looking for 4-6 and mapgirl won't be happy with anything less than 6-8. Beyond that it's diminishing returns (although I hear trixie is fine with 8-12 as she has a lot of experience with big events). Everyone should get in on the wind and cold, if we are to believe the modeling.

lol

I believe that the euro will most likely trend towards the gfs. Not just because I want more snow but the euro was giving us a nice storm a couple days ago so it would not shock me if it went back towards that solution over the next 24 hrs.

I had almost forgotten about that. It had at least a foot here, then went suppressed the next run. Yesterdays 12z run it kinda came up but was a bit too far east with the goofy double low deal. Then last nights run...

today is the start of a great 3-5 weeks of winter weather here

that's my proclamation

I think its very likely we get snow in the next few weeks given the pattern. The question is does that mean 2-3" or something significant. I am bearish on this storm or any individual threat really, but bullish on the pattern probably producing at some point.

I tried to comment on this yesterday, but I couldn't post for whatever reason. It seems the EPS never stray too far from the Op.  Not sure why that is, but it's rare that they have huge disagreements it seems.  GEFS seem to truly "disagree" with the GFS Op far more often. 

I've noticed this too. Have the GEFS been upgraded too or are they still running the old resolution? I seem to remember someone stating they weren't getting upgraded at the same time. If that is the case it might at least partially explain why they differ more often than the EPS.

The NAM is as unpredictable as the most unpredictable model...especially at this range.

Big issue is going to be scarcity of data from the Baja region. Not many observations out there and it's tough to know the strength of the features and energy out that way sometimes until the system is getting its act together. I worked in the southwest for many years. Yes there is satellite sampling and all that but raobs and other data is sparse.

The NAM is as unpredictable as the most unpredictable model...especially at this range.

Big issue is going to be scarcity of data from the Baja region. Not many observations out there and it's tough to know the strength of the features and energy out that way sometimes until the system is getting its act together. I worked in the southwest for many years. Yes there is satellite sampling and all that but raobs and other data is sparse.

Interesting. Let's see what shows up as we progress. Thanks.

I've noticed this too. Have the GEFS been upgraded too or are they still running the old resolution? I seem to remember someone stating they weren't getting upgraded at the same time. If that is the case it might at least partially explain why they differ more often than the EPS.

The GEFS were upgraded as well and I believe they now run at the resolution of the old GFS Op.  But this "disagreement" occurred before the upgrade as well.  Not sure if it's because the EPS has so many more members and differences get enhanced in the GEFS because there are fewer members or because the perturbation methodology is different between the EPS and GEFS? 

The GEFS were upgraded as well and I believe they now run at the resolution of the old GFS Op.  But this "disagreement" occurred before the upgrade as well.  Not sure if it's because the EPS has so many more members and differences get enhanced in the GEFS because there are fewer members or because the perturbation methodology is different between the EPS and GEFS? 

Yes, the GEFS were upgraded and as you say they're run at the old GFS ops resolution.  Interesting comments about the relative spread or disagreement between the GEFS/GFS vs. Euro/EPS.  I didn't realize the EPS tended to have less disagreement (not sure if the spread tends to be less?).  Not sure why that is...is it more anecdotal or has it been shown to be a real phenomenon?  As for the GEFS, the most recent example of "disagreement" is that 18Z run a couple of week ago before the Super Bowl event.  The ops GFS and many members were a hit for us.  However, there was a small, but significant, cluster of tracks to the northwest.  I don't recall what the Euro EPS showed for that.

In any event, for this upcoming storm (or lack of, depending!), the disagreement between modeling systems...GFS/GEFS vs. Euro/ENS...makes things rather difficult obviously.  Up above, Ers-Wxman1 mentioned the sampling of data in the Baja low being a key, which is a good point.  I guess we're pretty much seeing the effects of that in terms of uncertainty of how that interacts with the system.  When it interacts, we get a better solution for us (and much or all of the East Coast) with a better extend of the moisture...if not, we get a wide-right.  More complicated than that I know, but that seems to be at least one of the main factors.

Archived