Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been studying the the last few runs of the GFS. Ever since yesterday at 18z you can see the 500mb starting to evolve. Digging in the Artic Jet s/w faster but a washed out progressive Polar jet s/w (over the 4 corners region) couldnt phase with the Baja energy (southern jet s/w) in earlier runs but still managed to phase late with the Arctic Jet s/w and develop a reflection off the coast.

Now we have a vigorous Polor Jet s/w showing up again digging and phasing in with baja energy. The Arctic jet s/w tries to dig in and get a full phase of all three streams. There will be a limit to how far west/inland(rainy) the low would track even with a full phase due to the position/orientation of the Polar Vortex, but you can see it each run the phase is closer and closer so much so that it pulls the PV south west raising heights along the coast.

The bagginess(relaxation in confluence) at 500mb between the 50/50 low and the PV is allowing this to come up the coast vs swept out to sea...This is very close on the GFS to being a full phase of three streams which some of the individual ensemble members have.

Ha!  Well actually, a nice chilled white to be honest!  I like red, but with a good meal.  I drink white wine just for sipping by itself.  Of course, there's always some Scotch and Drambuie in the liquor cabinet, should they ever call!

I like a good VA Caberet Franc any time of the year. Even summer. I know. I am strange that way.

Model War's at its finest.

Yep. It's nice to get as good GEFS support to the operational GFS. What we can hope for now is that even while the 00Z op EC is still a miss, more of those 50 EC members will be on board (less suppression) when the 00Z EC ensembles come out. I know I'd feel a bit more confident if that were the case :)

Archived