joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can a meteorologist chime in here, is it because of the progressive look of the shortwave that even with a 988mb bombing low east of NJ there isn't much heavy QPF west of the low?

Not a met but I can tell you that the flow around low over the GL hurts the CCB (cold conveyer belt). Makes it hard for the low to get heavy precip deep into the cold sector.

I don't think there's anybody here who wouldn't.   All we need now is this to hold for 16 more GFS runs!

I'm still not the hugest fan of the 500mb look.. could mess us up without much problem but it's good as is of course.

Nice hit but for me it's getting close to a mix for awhile, still a good run but I don't want it to get any more amped.  Maybe Ji does but for us colser in guys, we don't

....DCA is never really close...so I'd think you might be ok...warmest level is 850mb, so as long as you are below 0 there I'd think you'd be ok, but yes...me and you don't want to see it much more W....

With how rounded the trough is, temps verbatim on these runs doesn't matter. There is going to be a tight gradient regardless, just need to root that we end up on the right side of it.....

This lead wave is actually helping a lot. Without it the low would most certainly come inland. The lead wave puts the baroclinic zone farther East. 

Not a met but I can tell you that the flow around low over the GL hurts the CCB (cold conveyer belt). Makes it hard for the low to get heavy precip deep into the cold sector.

Yea thought so, the low seems to mature around 108-114 hours but it is up in NE by then, be careful what you wish I guess because if it does mature earlier we may end up raining

Not for Richmond, no it has not. 

RIC gets .70" qpf thru Thursday 1AM, but there's a warm layer so there's snow, then sleet, then back to snow

I only have 6 hour intervals so it's hard to know exactly the changeover

but you get some more qpf after 1AM Thursday and that would be snow

I'll let you know in a sec

RIC gets .70" qpf thru Thursday 1AM, but there's a warm layer so there's snow, then sleet, then back to snow

I only have 6 hour intervals so it's hard to know exactly the changeover

but you get some more qpf after 1AM Thursday and that would be snow

I'll let you know in a sec

an additional .07" qpf falls as snow between 1AM Thurs and 7AM Thurs    :)

GFS @69 500mb backing in more west and digging with northern s/w coming in from Canada. S/w over the 4 corners is about to phase with Baja energy which is ejecting earlier than 18z. This is gonna be a good hit for us.

Another great post.  Good to see that the key features come together in less than 72 hours.

Archived