joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nobody punted it last night. There was a severe panic attack by the board. you might be confusing The 84 hour nam

People were nervous but there were plenty of comments about it being 18z and such. Honestly these run to run score differences are probably so small they are basically meaningless as far as we are concerned.

Believe it or not it is still a thread the needle event. There is no true HP in a good spot. I personally don't love the setup, but at this point it is all we have...

We waste a ton of great setups here and have a knack for scoring things with banged up flawed setups. I love the setup because it's coming up from the south. Something we have rarely seen with cold air in place this year. 

I know that Ian was kidding, but I think it was das (and if not, then maybe Chris with the red tag) that said the 18z gfs was actually scoring the best.

And I'm just saying and not suggesting that this is right.

It's not scoring the best.  For future reference, here's the link to the model verification scores (I always have a hard time finding this):

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/

Click on "GFS 4 Cycles" in the top left corner.

18z has not been great recently, but the differences are usually so small that it's best to just use the most recent run. Even if 18z at 96 hours is on average less accurate than 12z at 96 hours, the 18z at 90 hours will usually be more accurate than 12z at 96 hours.

Where is the guy who was chastizing us last night about how he was protecting us from being unrealistically hopeful?

Have the models showed a major rainer yet? That's the only outcome not covered in last 36 hours. Like I said 5 days ago, TX/LA birthing grounds always interest me, never waver on that, and we will do OK once again.

Where is the guy who was chastizing us last night about how he was protecting us from being unrealistically hopeful?

Have the models showed a major rainer yet? That's the only outcome not covered in last 36 hours. Like I said 5 days ago, TX/LA birthing grounds always interest me, never waver on that, and we will do OK once again.

wut

that makes no sense.  nobody remembers what you said five minutes ago, let alone five days.

Even if 18z at 96 hours is on average less accurate than 12z at 96 hours, the 18z at 90 hours will usually be more accurate than 12z at 96 hours.

18z gfs was phasing the baja energy at 84 hours. That's the real key to getting a stronger storm. It can still make it up this way without but if the phase happens and things are more juiced across texas/gulf coast, it can only help our chances. I'm focusing on that. 

FWIW- the 18z nam was not even close. It was cutoff and spinning over baja 12z gfs @ hr 90 has it open but still hanging back over the gulf of CA. 18z gfs @ hr 84 had the energy over n central mexico. This is a very important feature to keep an eye on. 

Phasing still doesn't guaranty anything of course. But it can really help. The large difference in precip expanse and strength in TX/gulf coast with the 18z vs 12z was because of this. Were getting to the range now where this piece of the puzzle will be resolved one way or the other. The 0z runs tomorrow should mostly agree on what happens in that dept. 

Believe it or not it is still a thread the needle event. There is no true HP in a good spot. I personally don't love the setup, but at this point it is all we have...

Yep, all we have and we don't have a choice.  Everyone is glad to see this latest GFS run give us a good track, good moisture, and back to showing a solid event.  However, I'm nervous about what the Euro ensembles showed (12Z), and the current 18Z GEFS don't lend a whole lot of confidence one way or another.  I think the fact that the ensembles are more or less all over the place means we'll see the ops throw just about everything at us in the next day or so (mostly too far south than too far north, I think).  One would hope by late tomorrow or getting into Sunday, we'll be honing in on an actual solution...and hopefully a good one for us of course!

I think what Bob said earlier that the goal posts range from over us to wide right (having gone to FSU, I'm all too familiar with wide right, hahaha!) is a reasonable estimate right now.  I personally would prefer something more juiced up like this latest GFS run, but it's a fine line between that and getting mostly rain from too much amp in this pattern.  Actually, the solutions from the other day or so that had us getting several inches of snow followed by mix/sleet/ice (and maybe a short period of rain) and then freezing after that were not too bad in my opinion.  I think those went close to overhead, maybe a tad east.

Archived