Newest Member
    joxey
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when did it get fixed? The bias is still there

I dunno.. supposedly a few years ago. This is the first southwest wave we've had in a while.

That does seem like a wild card.. the Euro is usually better with Miller As though. It is an outlier at this pt as noted.

RIC gets .70" qpf thru Thursday 1AM, but there's a warm layer so there's snow, then sleet, then back to snow

I only have 6 hour intervals so it's hard to know exactly the changeover

but you get some more qpf after 1AM Thursday and that would be snow

I'll let you know in a sec

Warm layer did not quite each the city this run according to the warmest sounding at hr 93. It's barely a snow sounding for the airport, but still all layers below 0°.

Will it mix at the airport? If I had you guess from 90 hours out, I'd say yeh. But, this run of the gfs didn't. Yesterday's runs pushed the 0° c line to the NW of the city by 15 miles or so.

Sent from my iPhone

That's a good point not to overlook. As the timing before the event shortens, the models should make smaller shifts. From the GFS, it appears that first flakes would fall over D.C. mid day or so Tuesday. http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/00/gfs_namer_087_10m_wnd_precip.gif

I'd rather it wait a little bit.... I like the storms that snow lightly in the late afternoon and then pick up as it get dark. 

Archived