• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

idk Bob, GFS may be a little late to the party on this one in light of the UKMet, CMC and Euro

otoh, it was first to the party in showing us getting a decent snow event and then switched     lol

or, it just might be that the GFS just hasn't quite figured what it wants to do

I guess it's going to be a whole lot of model run paranoia around here again this week

imho, as everything appears right now, the cold pattern is locked in so I'll be a weenie and go with a colder solution and then a flip

I forgot to mention one of the reasons for my colder solution scenarios

http://weather.gc.ca/ensemble/tenday_e.html

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just went through the euro members. Someone hit the weenie button on the run. The d5 threat looks pretty good for a front end thump but most followed up with a mix. No surprise. Some of the stronger west tracks looked great for a front end thump and some of the weaker/sheared looked good for overrunning. Hopefully it ends up being a fun track even if mixy. 

Where it gets interesting is the d6-8 range. Many pop a coastal after the front clears. Even the d9-10 range has a # of members with good storms. Seems like everything pointing towards the potential for multiple accum events over the next 10 days. I'm stoked. 

ETA: I'm pretty sure the euro is going to show a big hit inside of d8 in the next couple of days. Maybe in the next 2 hours. 

I just went through the euro members. Someone hit the weenie button on the run. The d5 threat looks pretty good for a front end thump but most followed up with a mix. No surprise. Some of the stronger west tracks looked great for a front end thump and some of the weaker/sheared looked good for overrunning. Hopefully it ends up being a fun track even if mixy. 

Where it gets interesting is the d6-8 range. Many pop a coastal after the front clears. Even the d9-10 range has a # of members with good storms. Seems like everything pointing towards the potential for multiple accum events over the next 10 days. I'm stoked. 

ETA: I'm pretty sure the euro is going to show a big hit inside of d8 in the next couple of days. Maybe in the next 2 hours. 

I am pretty bullish Bob on the Saturday event. Agree with mitch on our cold airmass and snow cover will help us. Also, i like that some ensembles hit us with a thump and others do hit us with overrunning. It had support from the UKMET solidly at 0z. 

I am pretty bullish Bob on the Saturday event. Agree with mitch on our cold airmass and snow cover will help us. Also, i like that some ensembles hit us with a thump and others do hit us with overrunning. It had support from the UKMET solidly at 0z. 

12Z GEM ain't bad looking for the weekend either

I was just going to post that Mitch. Quick frozen to warm rainer seems like the least likely solution attm. Pretty incredible turnaround. I think the airports probably have a better than 50% shot at beating climo this year. I only need 6-7" to get there in my yard.

Just SE of 95 need only 2.6 to get to my approx 18.1" climo. At 15.5 now.

And yes, we should get some snow this weekend provided QPF is present.

I was just going to post that Mitch. Quick frozen to warm rainer seems like the least likely solution attm. Pretty incredible turnaround. I think the airports probably have a better than 50% shot at beating climo this year. I only need 6-7" to get there in my yard. 

I need between 8-9" to beat my climo. After the start to this winter it would be pretty incredible to do it. I am at 16.1" and my climo is about 25".

I need between 8-9" to beat my climo. After the start to this winter it would be pretty incredible to do it. I am at 16.1" and my climo is about 25".

Mine is 21". I'm at 14.7. From what I'm seeing right now, I'm feeling pretty good about getting there. I really want the airports to do it because it's so rare.  

Mine is 21". I'm at 14.7. From what I'm seeing right now, I'm feeling pretty good about getting there. I really want the airports to do it because it's so rare.  

when you have a cold january and record cold February...getting to climo is a woeful winter. Sorry

GGEM is about 3-6" thump in the area between 102-114. In between 108-114 850's increase to about +1 to +2 in the area, however surface temperatures are in the neighborhood of 31-32 up 95 with 30 out towards HGR. The QPF for that 6 hour period in the cities is .8-.9 so a very wet frame. I like what I'm seeing to say the least. 

when you have a cold january and record cold February...getting to climo is a woeful winter. Sorry

why? Obviously cold is a prerequisite to snow but the two are not a perfect correlation. We have had not so cold years that produced several nice snows and you don't seem upset those years at the lack of cold/snow link. Another way to look at it is to be amazed at how cold it's been in a raging +nao/AO winter.

I'm not sweating the gfs idea. This last event looked west at first then in the end south was the problem. The cold looks real this time. I also think we get several waves coming at us from the sw with arctic highs up north. The nao still looks crappy so they will be progressive and some could go west but overall it's as good a pattern we can get with the nao this bad.

I'm not sweating the gfs idea. This last event looked west at first then in the end south was the problem. The cold looks real this time. I also think we get several waves coming at us from the sw with arctic highs up north. The nao still looks crappy so they will be progressive and some could go west but overall it's as good a pattern we can get with the nao this bad.

It looks really active behind the fronts. That's a big deal because we need to time things. Seems like precip chances are lining up every 2-3 days. Crazy. 

Guidance is starting to agree on losing the amplified western ridge as we approach and go into march. If we score decent through the next 10 days I'll welcome an end to winter and tracking season. 

It looks really active behind the fronts. That's a big deal because we need to time things. Seems like precip chances are lining up every 2-3 days. Crazy. 

Guidance is starting to agree on losing the amplified western ridge as we approach and go into march. If we score decent through the next 10 days I'll welcome an end to winter and tracking season. 

Yeah, looks like a solid -PNA pattern and we atleast go seasonal to slightly above March 1st on...

Archived