Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very light snow at 78 to IP/FZRN at 84 to rain at 87 (for DCA)

Ugh.  So ~6 hours of slop then rain.  A couple or so days ago this event actually looked pretty decent, but the trends have gone the other way.  I am not overly hopeful for any real improvement right now, even from other models.  Just simply nothing to keep the preceding cold air in.

With that kind of strength and track + HP offshore, it probably couldn't be a more efficient setup to get rid of the cold air. GFS seems to be locked into this progression now. Probably too quick at the surface but it's still pretty bad for people who prefer frozen precip over rain.

Ugh.  So ~6 hours of slop then rain.  A couple or so days ago this event actually looked pretty decent, but the trends have gone the other way.  I am not overly hopeful for any real improvement right now, even from other models.  Just simply nothing to keep the preceding cold air in.

GFS ends up tracking the surface low over the Adirondacks...only thing in our favor is that we haven't seen that happen yet this season.

With that kind of strength and track + HP offshore, it probably couldn't be a more efficient setup to get rid of the cold air. GFS seems to be locked into this progression now. Probably too quick at the surface but it's still pretty bad for people who prefer frozen precip over rain.

Exactly.  I think the system has been modeled stronger compared to a few days ago, so the cold air just gets shoved right out.  Awful trends to say the least, but I think like you said the GFS has pretty well locked onto this consistently for the last several runs.  I'm not optimistic at all at this point, barring a significant change in the next day or so.

Exactly.  I think the system has been modeled stronger compared to a few days ago, so the cold air just gets shoved right out.  Awful trends to say the least, but I think like you said the GFS has pretty well locked onto this consistently for the last several runs.  I'm not optimistic at all at this point, barring a significant change in the next day or so.

The big midwest HP is just not fast enough to reinforce the cold air to our area. If it was 200 miles east I would feel much better for sure.

The big midwest HP is just not fast enough to reinforce the cold air to our area. If it was 200 miles east I would feel much better for sure.

Yeah, I was thinking of that, too...not just the cold air that will be in place.  Reminds me in some ways of the Feb. 1-2 event, the HP to the northwest then did not go "over top" of the system, it built more behind it (or something like that).

looks like a slp forms on the front and brings us some light snow as the cold has returned

we should probably focus on that as maybe it trends stronger as time goes on

I didn't see a low per se form on the end of the front, but I did notice the pity flakes indicated at the end with the very light precip amounts in there.  Somehow, I remember there being a secondary development depicted in one of the models before (maybe the GFS?).  But not getting too excited about it for now.

I didn't see a low per se form on the end of the front, but I did notice the pity flakes indicated at the end with the very light precip amounts in there.  Somehow, I remember there being a secondary development depicted in one of the models before (maybe the GFS?).  But not getting too excited about it for now.

it's probably just a wave on the front right now, but you are right that one or more of the models had a low trailing on the front that came up on some runs a few days ago, but I can't recall which model(s)

So, if someone *cough* is scheduled to drive from Albany to, say, Baltimore, on Sunday; how ugly is the average 6 hour drive going to be?

Sorry for the not IMBY question. ;)

Pretty ugly.  You're going to be passing the Albany suburbs, the NJ Turnpike, going past Camden, NJ, and then heading through northern Delaware.

Archived