Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm thinking that reaching median is a better target than reaching climo...DCA needs like 4" to reach median.

Yeah that's probably fairy reasonable. I have liked the break by end mo or early March so we are on borrowed time.

Yeah that's probably fairy reasonable. I have liked the break by end mo or early March so we are on borrowed time.

Me too. It either happens in the next 2 weeks or we may waste the only real climo part of March. Pattern is crazy persistent for now. 

DC could pull off climo with 2-3 events. Saturday will probably put some snow down but if it's meager then the uphill battle begins in earnest. 

Me too. It either happens in the next 2 weeks or we may waste the only real climo part of March. Pattern is crazy persistent for now. 

DC could pull off climo with 2-3 events. Saturday will probably put some snow down but if it's meager then the uphill battle begins in earnest. 

I definitely wouldn't rule it out.. or rule out missing 10. ;)

I think gymengineer's thoughts are probably about wisest for DCA at least given where we stand. We have plenty of cautionary tale about punting March given last year but if we do manage to lose out on the first chunk it's quite likely over outside the N&W (if they ever get precip) except for the Mar 25 early cherry blossom duster.

Our county was pulling off 2" events left and right this winter (2 inches along an arctic front?!). DCA needs more of a margin to go over an inch on the "messier" events-- they've only had two events go over an inch. Of course Saturday is nowhere near set yet on track, and I think it's good that there are three opportunities from Saturday through next week so that we can hopefully get one more region-wide event. 

Our county was pulling off 2" events left and right this winter (2 inches along an arctic front?!). DCA needs more of a margin to go over an inch on the "messier" events-- they've only had two events go over an inch. Of course Saturday is nowhere near set yet on track, and I think it's good that there are three opportunities from Saturday through next week so that we can hopefully get one more region-wide event. 

Saturday could be good for a time. Far from resolved. I didn't like seeing the gefs so rainy though. 

Euro ens last night had a lot of west tracks of a fairly strong low pressure that got us pretty good before dryslot. That solution is as possible as what the euro/gfs showed today. Doesn't look like a good setup right now for a storm to track south of us. Would have to form further south than what the ops are showing and even then the high is likely to be off the coast. 

LC tweeted a March map very similar to the "new" CFSv2 March look two days ago.

Looks like we have approx. 2 weeks left for a Hail Mary..

what a major flip from  yesterday. Went from Deep blues to this

CFSv2.NaT2m.20150217.201503.gif

7-10 Euro 500mb average

I see a ridge NE of the Caspian and a +PNA intact with energy coming underneath

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/cgi-bin/gen_grbcalc2.cgi?re=nhem&id=&zoom=.6&ti=0≥=1024x768&mo=ecmwf≤=500&va=hght&in=60&pl=cf&ft=10day&cu=latest&overlay=no&mo=≤=&va=&in=&pl=ln&ft=h24&cu=latest

early in this thread I thought we could squeeze 3-5 weeks out of the pattern; we may only get 2-3, but the persistence has been impressive

and just when it looks like we could lose the EPO, it remains negative until the last day of a 14 day forecast, not reassuring if you expected a flip sooner

ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Public/gbates/reforecast2/teleconn/epo.png

Saturday could be good for a time. Far from resolved. I didn't like seeing the gefs so rainy though. 

Euro ens last night had a lot of west tracks of a fairly strong low pressure that got us pretty good before dryslot. That solution is as possible as what the euro/gfs showed today. Doesn't look like a good setup right now for a storm to track south of us. Would have to form further south than what the ops are showing and even then the high is likely to be off the coast. 

the ensembles look bad right now...interesting that one of the top analogs showing up is 1/17/94..lol...I wonder if this could trend toward an ice storm, assuming the low comes east a bit

I know it is a few days off but 18z GFS PBP for DCA so we have some sense of how it might progress

hour 99 - borderline snow/sleet - 24 degrees

hour 102 - sleet - 27

hour 105 - sleet - 30

hour 108 - rain/zr - 32

all rain after this

I'd estimate DC gets 0.20" as snow/sleet

crappy run

ETA: it came east so there is that

I know it is a few days off but 18z GFS PBP for DCA so we have some sense of how it might progress

hour 99 - borderline snow/sleet - 24 degrees

hour 102 - sleet - 27

hour 105 - sleet - 30

hour 108 - rain/zr - 32

all rain after this

I'd estimate DC gets 0.20" as snow/sleet

crappy run

ETA: it came east so there is that

welp, then it can only get better in my mind, so we have nothing to lose to fixate on it but sleep

Archived