joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 21 Obs thread II

stormtracker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1:15pm:    25 Heavy Snow. about 1.5 inches so far.
12:32pm:  26 Mod snow. Flakes bigger. Picking up in intensity. Roads and sidewalks still clear.
11:54am:  28 Light snow. Pixie dust. Streets and sidewalks still wet. About 3/4 inch so far on hard surfaces.
11:21am:  29 Mod snow. All big flakes. Peak wind: 14 mph.
11:04am:  29 Mod snow with giant flakes mixing in. (beginning of death-band) Peak wind 11mph.
10:37am:  29 Light Snow  No stickage to roads or sidewalks still.
10:00am:  31 Mod Snow
9:30am:    32 Flurries
9:00am:    33 No precip

Snow has lightened up a bit. Radar doesn't look great for me at the moment though it does show signs that all will be OK.  The stuff developing near CHO and even a little south of Fredericksburg.   Even with the snow not being as intense, the visibility still is not great as there are lots of little flakes.  Temp is 26.   I'm sure I have an inch but haven't yet gone out to measure.

Do we buy the midnight shutoff? I'm thinking it won't be that late. 

I don't yet. It will be nowcast to some extent. Evolution and path of the coastal can never be modeled with perfection. We're going to have some solid fun coming up for a while. I hope the back edge is stubborn for you an me. We'll see. 

Intensity definitely building. Some of the heaviest of the day right now. Check out how this outer band is exploding over Frederick County, Clarke and Loudoun Counties. We are heading for our best 3 hour period I believe.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=NCR&rid=LWX&loop=yes

radar has "starting to pivot look" to it

Archived