Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Early January 2014 cold snaps - featuring the polar vortex of doom

Ian

19 weak 

I thought 17F for sure would be the highest last night with 2m max at 13-14F and MOS at 16F...though in retrospect, I wonder if the cold shot being so far ahead of guidance was a bad thing for the afternoon high. That could mean that warm air advection aloft started sooner as well.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought 17F for sure would be the highest last night with 2m max at 13-14F and MOS at 16F...though in retrospect, I wonder if the cold shot being so far ahead of guidance was a bad thing for the afternoon high. That could mean that warm air advection aloft started sooner as well.

We never understimate the talent of DCA to bust past MOS.

yeah -- I wasn't necessarily banking on anything amazing but a little surprised we are so mild. then again the gradient at 850mb is pretty huge from PA into VA at this point and we're getting SW winds.  

I am up to 14. And the wind is still kickin. This morning was one of the coldest mornings I can remember. 1 degree when I left the house at 7:30 and the wind was at 20-30 MPH. Just brutal.

Too bad sequels are rarely as good as the original

BdZx9ulCcAAGomm.png

Should allow the media discuss how we've had two polar hurricane attacks this year if it's right

Too bad sequels are rarely as good as the original

BdZx9ulCcAAGomm.png

I heard Ion Part 2 stars some dude named Ian?  Oh wait..maybe that's the weak Cat 1 storm in in the S. Pacific?  Aww frick it!  Bring on that polar vortex one more time--please include as many Miller A's as you wish.  Thanks.  ;-)

Frozen over here. It never fully opened up from the last freeze, at least right here. It's actually cool when it's partially frozen/open in the middle because bald eagles seem to find that ideal for ice-fishing. You'll see them hanging out for long periods out there near the edge of the ice, like they should have a cooler of beer or something.

High of 13.5, currently on the way to 12.

post-6981-0-81057800-1389131222_thumb.jp

post-6981-0-92816100-1389131236_thumb.jp

Archived