12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Early January 2014 cold snaps - featuring the polar vortex of doom

Ian

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah. I'm bummed about the high but we usually suck at cold so whatever. 

It's just really hard to get a high of <20 F at DCA, no matter the forecast/models. The timing has to be near perfect. We've had other <20 forecasts since 1996 that didn't verify either.

If you look at the 1/09 days, the peak of the cold was moving in on the 18/11 day and moved out on the next day, where the 8 degree low was matched up with a high that shot up to 27. It's really hard to match the coldest low with the coldest high-- even in 2/96 that didn't happen. 

IAD got above forecast today too, so it wasn't just DCA.

It's just really hard to get a high of <20 F at DCA, no matter the forecast/models. The timing has to be near perfect. We've had other <20 forecasts since 1996 that didn't verify either.

If you look at the 1/09 days, the peak of the cold was moving in on the 18/11 day and moved out on the next day, where the 8 degree low was matched up with a high that shot up to 27. It's really hard to match the coldest low with the coldest high-- even in 2/96 that didn't happen. 

IAD got above forecast today too, so it wasn't just DCA.

18/11 versus 21/6 and with that wind last night I think the overall coldness of this one topped that one. in 2009 I went 16/0 and this time 16/1.

Anyone just see what Joe Bastardi just posted on Twitter?

Bdabb3eCYAEMBYd.png

I'm already trolling him. And starting the "Late January 2014 cold snaps" thread. 

Posting a d15 of the Euro control is pretty shady though there is at least some support and patterns seem to like to repeat.

I'm already trolling him. And starting the "Late January 2014 cold snaps" thread. 

Posting a d15 of the Euro control is pretty shady though there is at least some support and patterns seem to like to repeat.

I kind of think there will be a cold shot after the 17 or 18 but he sure likes trying to be first. 

What does that long range Euro map imply? Because my knowledge is sparse and I refuse to look at Bastardi's twitter page.

In a nutshell, a repeat variation of what we've seen multiple times this winter. Transient cold air dump into the middle of the country bleeding east.

Whether this one wipes humanity from the face of the earth or not has yet to be determined.

Archived