12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Early January 2014 cold snaps - featuring the polar vortex of doom

Ian

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

High was 11 low was -2...unless I am missing something this is the coldest day on avg. since 1/19/94 for this location....no way I was beating that (high -1 low -12). I had an unexpectedly very cold January 10, 2004 with a high of 12 low of -1 but today beat it.

The Arctic Abyss coming later this month will obliterate that record.

High was 11 low was -2...unless I am missing something this is the coldest day on avg. since 1/19/94 for this location....no way I was beating that (high -1 low -12).  I had an unexpectedly very cold January 10, 2004 with a high of 12 low of -1 but today beat it.

We didn't beat our Jan 10, 2004 day up here because of our lovely 19F high at midnight.  In the books as 19/4 here, Jan 10 2004 was 15/1.  But if you read the NY Daily News today it was THE COLDEST DAY IN 118 YEARS!!!!.

Yep, but some of the coldest weather at many locations happens fro Jan 20 to about Feb 10.

To a degree. There isn't the same lag as snow.. most of the really cold stuff happens around peak climo cold.  Cold is definitely better the second half of winter than the first though.. and Feb is favored over Dec for anomalies.  I think if you repeat what just happened at the end of Jan you get pretty much the same result though, so my comment was probably trolling.

it held!

my unofficial backyard thermometer didn't get above 12 today. down to 6 now. thank goodness for the propane furnace we installed when we moved in--toasty warm heat.

Lowest high temp since 1/19/1994 at MRB. 

I was in the old part of downtown Charles Town today.  Got a real nice vibe from the store owners I talked to.

"A deadly, record-shattering polar vortex was beginning to ease late Tuesday"

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/07/22212027-some-relief-not-much-on-the-way-after-deadly-polar-vortex?lite

wut

I almost died from static shock from my comforter. I rubbed my feet on the carpet and touched wifey's ear lobe. My jaw still hurts from that. It's some dangerous polarhurricancevorticity goin on.

Archived