EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
12/17 Clipper Observations

NorEastermass128

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sleet down there even surprised me..I would have thought it was a straight rain/snow deal..Sneaky meso low like Ryan said with sneaky warm layer.

i think for anywhere along the shore that has a N or NE flow, the low level air is just so brutally cold it's not able to be anything other than some sort of frozen precip. the mild air can sneak in a bit aloft but at the ground, no chance with such a weak / developing low. further east where the flow is more E off the water, it'll be more of a 33F snow to 34F+ rain type of deal.

i think for anywhere along the shore that has a N or NE flow, the low level air is just so brutally cold it's not able to be anything other than some sort of frozen precip. the mild air can sneak in a bit aloft but at the ground, no chance with such a weak / developing low. further east where the flow is more E off the water, it'll be more of a 33F snow to 34F+ rain type of deal.

I love the little 925 mb sort of mesolow developing over LIS. You can see it on the 18z NAM and radar... that's what is helping the convergence on the south coast and also bringing in that sneaky warm layer at 925 mb. 

Archived