• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
12/17 Clipper Observations

NorEastermass128

It's things like this that make me wonder if my job even matters...

It's not like this wasn't forecast, and forecast to specifically impact evening rush.

It was handled terribly, woefully on the timing and preparedness. News had the Head of MA. DOT asking people to stay longer at work and leave at or around 7pm. I said to self.... WHAT?   Yup, run straight into the teeth of the beast resulting in the present gridlock. WTF

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one timed rush hour perfectly. CT highways are at a standstill. If anyone looks at a traffic map, it is all red lines everywhere with some red/black one...which means NO movement lol.

I just got home and the commute was not that bad. I was able to maintain a 35-45mph speed on I-84.

Heavy snow here in coventry with 3.5" new.

perfect kind of snow, like Jerry said, mod-heavy at times and no wind.  2 inches or so up here, the snowpack is cleaned up.  back to back storms with temps in the high single digits and low teens - cool!  We had very light snow for a few hours with very little in the way of radar echoes earlier this afternoon.  Once we got actually echoes there was fluffy moderate snow and a stunning scene.

Great great winter.

Seriously though regardless of a forecast or what you say +SN at 4pm is always going to cause a mess. Not sure any specific warning/advisory matters. I will say that this storm has way more impact (with an advisory) than the last one did (with a warning). Cold season headlines with specific criteria are just sort of silly. 

Well it's hard to sneak out of work before traffic hits the road when a million other people have the same idea.

It's things like this that make me wonder if my job even matters...

It's not like this wasn't forecast, and forecast to specifically impact evening rush.

Seriously though regardless of a forecast or what you say +SN at 4pm is always going to cause a mess. Not sure any specific warning/advisory matters. I will say that this storm has way more impact (with an advisory) than the last one did (with a warning). Cold season headlines with specific criteria are just sort of silly. 

Agree 100%. Things need to become more impact based and less numerically driven

+ 1.

Do you think there is anything the nws can do?

It just seems like we are so caught up as americans to work our arses off that we blindly do it disregarding the common decency to be safe. Is ONE day going to kill our production?

+ 1.

Do you think there is anything the nws can do?

It just seems like we are so caught up as americans to work our arses off that we blindly do it disregarding the common decency to be safe. Is ONE day going to kill our production?

It snows in New England. When you get a burst of 1"-2" per hour snows during the commute roads will suck, people will get in accidents, and it will take people a long time.

We can't shut down commerce for 3" of snow and no matter what warning/advisory/watch is in effect people will still hit the roads after work. Not much you can do. 

Probably a topic for a different thread...but I disagree. Maybe it would work better in the populated areas where traffic is an issue even on a clear day...but up here the "impact" is 99% of the time tied to the raw amount of snowfall. A Warning for like 3-4" would be laughed at, even if it all occurred during the "commute"times.

The hrrr/rap models seem to hang some precip back near the coast for a while so even as it hauls east it appears that some meaningful qpf hangs back for boston metro and NE MA.  Does this appear on track? What is causing it? Seems like one of those deals where it seems like it's about to exit stage right but keeps redeveloping bands over us. At least if this goes forward as modeled.

Probably a topic for a different thread...but I disagree. Maybe it would work better in the populated areas where traffic is an issue even on a clear day...but up here the "impact" is 99% of the time tied to the raw amount of snowfall. A Warning for like 3-4" would be laughed at, even if it all occurred during the "commute"times.

Right - that's the point though. Make it impact based by region.

It snows in New England. When you get a burst of 1"-2" per hour snows during the commute roads will suck, people will get in accidents, and it will take people a long time.

We can't shut down commerce for 3" of snow and no matter what warning/advisory/watch is in effect people will still hit the roads after work. Not much you can do.

Yeah...it snows. People who love in New England should know this and you'd think we'd know how to deal with it.

It happens a few times a winter...a commute sucks because of snow. There's really nothing that anyone can do about it though. Traffic is bad enough when it's sunny out, any amount of snow is going to make it suck. You can't just shut down every time it snows a few inches in places that average 50-100" of snow a year. You'd never get anything done.

Archived