12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Dec 10 Morning Crusher (obs/nowcasting)

yoda

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brutal miss on temps by all numerical guidance.  The -5C is the dew point, though.

Thanks, got confused.  Surface given the wind is NW it's seems possible that there was a greater difference between the surface and 850 than anticipated. But it's still has me very concerned we'll be looking at BS clown maps that show 1'  for 6 days before the next monster dusting.

Great post. I do think the 'business' would be better served by more cooperation across the spectrum.. and part of that is maybe using consistent forecasting methods. Obviously you're still going to end up with varied forecasts but perhaps some of the confusion would be mitigated. 

In the same vein gov definitely takes more responsibility in critical weather situations whether or not they are the primary vehicle for dissemination.  That's not an easy position to be in and one that others probably can't fully understand.  In that light I certainly understand some defensiveness.  NWS definitely isn't in it for the clicks as much as others.. (well, at least before they dove into social media heh).. You definitely get the sense that a lot of employees do see themselves fully as public servants not in it for their own good at all... or at least their primary responsibility is to help fellow citizens. 

I think you questioned my innovation comment earlier -- was out walking around and browsing so hard to make any lengthy posts... I guess it depends on the type of innovation.  On a big picture level I'm sure there has been plenty... when it comes to smaller ideas that can also be groundbreaking, likely not as much. You see it all across government where there just isn't room to think outside the box.  Technological advances are more or less forcing that type of need upon everyone though so it might change. A simple example would be a place like CWG seeing a forecast "disaster" and quickly assembling to rectify it.  Try doing that in government and it could take a decade. Slow and stead isn't always bad though.

I have a big idea about the whole thing that I've been pondering for quite a while now but I am pretty lost as to go about it.  I suppose I should be nicer to people who might help so they can figure it out for me lol.

Great points Ian.  No doubt it can become very time consuming to get changes pushed through within a government organization, especially if it involves the removal or alteration of a "legacy" product.  We're learning.  I guess we're all learning.  

I actually enjoy the amount of enthusiasm with weather here in the mid Atlantic.  I like going through all the various forecasts, blogs, etc, including the CWG.  This is the area where I grew up in the '80s, which at the time there didn't seem to be as much of a buzz regarding the weather (winter, severe, etc) that there is now.  Certainly social media, blogs, and message board forums such as this helps to bring all of us together -- meteorologists, weather enthusiasts, or both .  I like it.  I think it's great that we can all share a little bit of our passion here on a message board (as well as frustrations, ha!)  When I was in high school in northern VA back in the '80s, and said to everybody I wanted to study meteorology in college, I just remember getting weird looks.  I guess meteorology wasn't the "in" thing back then ;)

I am a huge CWG supporter, especially the way they forecast.  But 20% - T-2", 50% - 2-5", and 30% 5"+ is not really a forecast to me..  I do appreciate  the idea behind it.  But painting a big swath of significant uncertainty over a large area on a map is not helpful.  It conveys that there is a reasonable chance of getting a T - 8", and there is a 50% chance it willl fall somewhere in the middle.  That doesn't really tell me much.  I agree with conveying uncertainty, but there are better ways to do it...or just don't put out a map.

agreed.  it kinda comes off as indecisive in my opinion.  when i want a forecast, i prefer to hear what they expect to occur and not that there's a chance of 0" to infinity.  people know it's a forecast and that it can be wrong, but saying what you believe will occur is not only clearer but easier to respect.

I like CWG in the sense that I like Ian, snow. and Wes. The other dudes seem to just be media whore types or overly arrogant.

I don't think that at all.  Jason is one of the hardest working an passionate weather guys around.  All the people in the group that I know do it because they like some or many facets of meteorology.  When they pitch in to comment on posts,  they aren't getting paid.  It's because they want the site to be a good one. 

I don't think that at all.  Jason is one of the hardest working an passionate weather guys around.  All the people in the group that I know do it because they like some or many facets of meteorology.  When they pitch in to comment on posts,  they aren't getting paid.  It's because they want the site to be a good one. 

I just don't like the media aspect of it, with the Facebook and Twitter sarcasm and blasts at NWS and other media outlets. I don't know anything about the workings of the organization. Perhaps that piece is separate from the generally awesome articles and analysis.

I did end up with 2". Not the 4" I was hoping for but enough to look nice and play in with the kids. I took my kids to the sledding hill at the glenview mansion. There were 50-75 people there who could have cared less about "the busy". All smiles and fun. Made me laugh a bit for caring a little bit this morning. 

If anyone lives in or near rockville and hasn't been to the glenview sledding hill, I highly recommend it. It's a classic spot that I first went to in the 70's. Big open hill with a long ride and lots of room for everyone. 

Here's a pic of the side of the mansion, sledding hill, and my snow sculpture that I named Buster Dion. 

post-2035-0-11872800-1386706876_thumb.jp

post-2035-0-27726500-1386706890_thumb.jp

post-2035-0-66813400-1386706900_thumb.jp

agreed.  it kinda comes off as indecisive in my opinion.  when i want a forecast, i prefer to hear what they expect to occur and not that there's a chance of 0" to infinity.  people know it's a forecast and that it can be wrong, but saying what you believe will occur is not only clearer but easier to respect.

If I were running things my way, I would put down my forecast and back it up by reasoning, but also give my confidence level behind my forecast (low, medium, high) and include a paragraph on "what could go wrong" to further explain my confidence level.  

To me, just saying "here's my forecast, but my confidence level is low" isn't quite enough... I like to see the explanation behind the uncertainty, and methinks so will the public.

Just my 2 cents, and this is not directed at anyone.

I did end up with 2". Not the 4" I was hoping for but enough to look nice and play in with the kids. I took my kids to the sledding hill at the glenview mansion. There were 50-75 people there who could have cared less about "the busy". All smiles and fun. Made me laugh a bit for caring a little bit this morning.

If anyone lives in or near rockville and hasn't been to the glenview sledding hill, I highly recommend it. It's a classic spot that I first went to in the 70's. Big open hill with a long ride and lots of room for everyone.

Here's a pic of the side of the mansion, sledding hill, and my snow sculpture that I named Buster Dion.

buster dion.JPG

Love the rabbit

Both, they have run of the whole place. They are spoiled inside, but they do enjjoy spending time outside if the wx is nice like today or a cooler day in the spring/fall, they will spend all day outside if Im home or the wife is home

Good to know. I thought once my 17 yr old Beagle finally goes I might get a husky. I know we (wife) would want him in the house.

Ended up with 5.5 inches here ...last measured on deck at 10 am. we were very fortunate up this way for both storms. we had a couple good bands come thru northwest carroll county that sort of hung around . currently 33 degs. some melting but  still a heck of a base ....i imigane ski liberty roundtop are loving these past few weeks. looking forward to the next one .

The first band up here between 6-7:30 was the best of the day.

attachicon.gifglenview.JPG

attachicon.gifsledding.JPG

attachicon.gifbuster dion.JPG

The mansion brings back some great sledding party memories. For a while the nanny state prohibited sledding but it's back now. A relative is getting married there 2014.

Archived