joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 10 Morning Crusher (obs/nowcasting)

yoda

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we always claim victory.  I don't see this storm as a victory for anyone,  maybe Tony Pann but all of us were too heavy unless this final burst over performs.  Being able to make a nuanced forecast is one of the nice things about CWG.  We have a better platform for making such forecasts than the NWS.  They are more restricted and have to be more focused.  I have lots of NWS friends and think by and large, they are hard working, good forecasts. 

I noticed when I came into work yesterday that our internal WWD graphic had a max of 2-3" across the DC-Balt area.  The probabilities of >1" (60-70% and >2" (40-60%) gave me confidence of a 1-2" area-wide, but as with the last event I anticipated higher amounts.  The problem was, as we've seen far too often, is that the soundings in the max QPF zone (> .40") were marginal at best, not only in the BL, but especially with the lack of lift and moisture not above -10C (or if it was there, it wasn't supposed to last very long, maybe a few hours).  Meanwhile, lower QPF north, ah, but they've got the better microphysical profile aloft, with the lift in that -12 to -18C layer longer compared to areas to the south.  So it's that give-and-take.  QPF aside, we really need to have that deeper moisture/lift above the -10C.  Otherwise there's likely going to be a screw job with fewer dendrites/smaller flakes and lower snowfall rates. You combine that with marginal BL temps, then you have big bust potential..

I noticed when I came into work yesterday that our internal WWD graphic had a max of 2-3" across the DC-Balt area.  The probabilities of >1" (60-70% and >2" (40-60%) gave me confidence of a 1-2" area-wide, but as with the last event I anticipated higher amounts.  The problem was, as we've seen far too often, is that the soundings in the max QPF zone (> .40") were marginal at best, not only in the BL, but especially with the lack of lift and moisture not above -10C (or if it was there, it wasn't supposed to last very long, maybe a few hours).  Meanwhile, lower QPF north, ah, but they've got the better microphysical profile aloft, with the lift in that -12 to -18C layer longer compared to areas to the south.  So it's that give-and-take.  QPF aside, we really need to have that deeper moisture/lift above the -10C.  Otherwise there's likely going to be a screw job with fewer dendrites/smaller flakes and lower snowfall rates. You combine that with marginal BL temps, then you have big bust potential..

you definitely called it..I bought in hook line and sinker into 3" amounts in the city

you definitely called it..I bought in hook line and sinker into 3" amounts in the city

We live, we learn....actually no we do.  We'll get suckered in again.  It's part of the risk that goes with the game.   I had a nap..I'm good now :D   I'm not going to pretend to be happy with 1" vs our expectations, but I'm not going to sit here and whine all day.     And look at the GFS for Saturday!

We're sick.

Yep. I think a lot of the NOAA/NWS issues are government bureaucracy issues rather than personnel issues. There is very little room for innovation in gov given all the rules, restrictions and slowness of adapting.  But, they are moving more toward forecasting like CWG does it would seem.. so for them to criticize that method is a little flimsy.

Agreed.  H(now W)PC's winter weather desk has been posting probabilistic winter weather forecasts for years now, with the PWPF graphics now expanding from the old 10/40/70 probabilities of 4/8/12" to a full suite of 0-100% probs of 1,2,4,6,8,12, and 18 inches, as well as amounts in percentile format.  We're already testing the days 4-7 WWD probs internally, which we hope to roll out experimentally next season.  I'm not sure I buy the argument that there's "little room for innovation."  Things are moving along smoothly, and it certainly helps to have a guy like Louis Uccellini at the Director of the NWS.

Interesting comment, time to make an Excel chart, Ian.

UHI would have more empirical support, but it may just be swamptown DC.  Baltimore and Philly did just fine Sunday, Manhattan has had some good years over the last decade, and upper NW DC has fared better over these last few years of disappointing events than east of RCP.   

We live, we learn....actually no we do.  We'll get suckered in again.  It's part of the risk that goes with the game.   I had a nap..I'm good now :D   I'm not going to pretend to be happy with 1" vs our expectations, but I'm not going to sit here and whine all day.     And look at the GFS for Saturday!

We're sick.

..well at least I knew 10 minutes in that it was a bust...I just hoped for an inch...didnt even get there...This bust doesnt really bother me,...It was a models bust....though the euro told us to be cautious..I shouldn't have ignored the bad patttern and climo, and I would have realized this was probably a 1-2" event for the city (still would have busted) and more in the favored locatioons..

Snow is done out here for me. Maybe just some more flurries. Finished at 4.1. Some decent driveway shovel piles for 12/10:

attachicon.gif20131210_111349.jpg

attachicon.gif20131210_111355.jpg

View toward the East. Gorgeous in Winchester today.

attachicon.gif20131210_111409.jpg

Sweet pics there. Im glad I wasnt the only one thinking it is nice to have some snow walls along the sidewalk already.

..well at least I knew 10 minutes in that it was a bust...I just hoped for an inch...didnt even get there...This bust doesnt really bother me,...It was a models bust....though the euro told us to be cautious..I shouldn't have ignored the bad patttern and climo, and I would have realized this was probably a 1-2" event for the city (still would have busted) and more in the favored locatioons..

I mean, its a bust and disappointing (storm wise).  It's not unreasonable, despite rumblings to the contrary, to be disappointed in a storm vs expectations of it.  But it's Dec. 10, winter has just barely begun...in the overall scheme of things nobody can be reasonably disappointed in winter overall.  

I mean, its a bust and disappointing (storm wise).  It's not unreasonable, despite rumblings to the contrary, to be disappointed in a storm vs expectations of it.  But it's Dec. 10, winter has just barely begun...in the overall scheme of things nobody can be reasonably disappointed in winter overall.  

Oh..I am disappointed to be sure...But I am mostly over it...It isn't like the "trauma" of March

Archived