joxey
Wednesday 11/27/13 Wind/Rain/Frozen Obs Thread

dryslot

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow in PFland?

Not right now, lol. A heavy 34F rain.

However, the 2" of cement from last night hasn't gone anywhere and the wet snow is still stuck to the trees, so this may be a net gain regardless of upslope.

Snow depth right now is 3-4" in the yard (probably like 1.5" of liquid in that, lol), which is an inch higher than yesterday at his time...so net gain right now. If this freezes like this then we've essentially put white concrete down to cover the ground.

Not right now, lol. A heavy 34F rain.

However, the 2" of cement from last night hasn't gone anywhere and the wet snow is still stuck to the trees, so this may be a net gain regardless of upslope.

Snow depth right now is 3-4" in the yard (probably like 1.5" of liquid in that, lol), which is an inch higher than yesterday at his time...so net gain right now. If this freezes like this then we've essentially put white concrete down to cover the ground.

yea should be locked in from now until spring

snow hasn't even melted of the trees

lol, yeah we are such weenies.  That was the first thing I've been noticing.  The trees are holding the snow and thats always the first snow to go.  I'm just surprised with how heavily it was raining all morning that the snow was able to stay on all the branches. 

We'll see if we get a little spike in temps with the CAA or if it just plummets and flashes over.  Only has to drop 2-4F to start freezing back up.

lol, yeah we are such weenies.  That was the first thing I've been noticing.  The trees are holding the snow and thats always the first snow to go.  I'm just surprised with how heavily it was raining all morning that the snow was able to stay on all the branches. 

We'll see if we get a little spike in temps with the CAA or if it just plummets and flashes over.  Only has to drop 2-4F to start freezing back up.

If you hung around 34F, then the snow won't really melt much...the magic number is about 36-37F dewpoints. It would have vanished pretty quick if you got up to that...but in this case, the CAD held on to keep the snow from vaporizing.

Yea LOL that's what I first saw and that's awesome.

Just out of curiosity, where on NWS Albany did you find that map?  Its more in line with some of their older graphics, which I prefer over much of their new graphics.

I found it linked to their facebook page. I suppose it is on their own site as well.

I'm not sure which map you're referring to and I know this is OT but that's a pet peeve of mine that NWS offices have been posting content to facebook and not on their homepage.  Why should I have to subject myself to facebook's privacy terms just to see something that my tax dollars helped pay for?  In this case, I hope it's on their site because another issue is access from some networks.  Some employers block access to facebook.

Archived