• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wednesday 11/27/13 Wind/Rain/Frozen Obs Thread

dryslot

I don't think it will be a classic flash freeze except up in the mountains where the low levels are saturated with upslope snow falling when the cold rushes in....for us, the dews will be outracing the temp drop and a flash freeze won't be able to materialize. (disclaimer: that doesn't mean some standing puddles won't freeze, it just means you wont get a classic "all surfaces turn into a skating rink" type flash freeze...which is really what flash freeze means)

Exactly - a bit worse than a normal black ice event since runoff will continue I think even as surfaces are drying out as low dews and gusty northwesterlies move in. 

Already down to 32F in Norfolk CT - may get a bit of snow up there.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only care about my flakes here in Princeton now. They should be here soon. After the heavy back edge moved through we had breaks in the clouds. Now cloudy again and light precipitation beginning again. I'm confident I get a period of snow. Currently 36/34.

Enjoy it if you do.  You might be in a better spot as the stuff is going to weaken further as it comes northeast.  My family in the NW burbs of philly said there was a light mix there in the past 1/2 hr

I don't think it will be a classic flash freeze except up in the mountains where the low levels are saturated with upslope snow falling when the cold rushes in....for us, the dews will be outracing the temp drop and a flash freeze won't be able to materialize. (disclaimer: that doesn't mean some standing puddles won't freeze, it just means you wont get a classic "all surfaces turn into a skating rink" type flash freeze...which is really what flash freeze means)

Interesting I never thought about the meteorology of a flash freeze... but even with the amount of water around and if temps go below freezing in a sharp drop, isn't that all that matters?  Or do you want to keep the dews right with the temp drop (ie RH staying high)?

I figured if its raining and even if precip shuts off, if the ambient temp goes 45F to 27F in like 2 hours, that would be enough to cause it to lock up.  But the best flash freezes are when its like just above freezing at 34F and then drops to like 15F really quickly. 

Interesting I never thought about the meteorology of a flash freeze... but even with the amount of water around and if temps go below freezing in a sharp drop, isn't that all that matters?  Or do you want to keep the dews right with the temp drop (ie RH staying high)?

I figured if its raining and even if precip shuts off, if the ambient temp goes 45F to 27F in like 2 hours, that would be enough to cause it to lock up.  But the best flash freezes are when its like just above freezing at 34F and then drops to like 15F really quickly. 

Lower dewpoints will dry out the moisture very quickly. The classic flash freeze where the pavement turns into a rink is when you have full saturation with the temp drop...i.e. like 36F rain and then flashing to 29F and snow. If the drop to cold is all that mattered, then after every lakes cutter in mid winter, we'd get a flash freeze when we drop into the mid 20s within an hour or two after precip stops.

We'll get standing puddles freezing and maybe a few areas of black ice, but this air dries out fast as with most cold fronts...so no flash freeze.

I think the best flash freeze was the fog in "the day after tomorrow".

34.6/33

Youve got to get over this love affair with BOX. It doesn't matter what their forecasts are. They are just 1 piece of info

It's not love affair--I'm merely stating the fact.  I was hoping they'd have seen something to make them up the ante.  Apparently they haven't.

It's cooler down in Tolland than here or east into Union at a higher elevation.  38° here and there attm.  Hopefully we some whitening...

The GC of CT.

Anyone surprised that most VT areas that had snow OTG before this storm will end up with lots more after the storm, cripes the snow didn't melt off the trees. Congrats ski areas.

I am. Of course I don't think the inch and a half or so left on my lawn can hold any more water. It might not even officially qualify as snow anymore.

Well its not the Blizzard of 88. :)  All these hours of snow and I'm nearing an inch. So even if you get snow..an inch is the upside probably.  Oh maybe there will be more in East Chesterfield.  Hah

It's not love affair--I'm merely stating the fact.  I was hoping they'd have seen something to make them up the ante.  Apparently they haven't.

The GC of CT.

Archived