Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wednesday 11/27/13 Wind/Rain/Frozen Obs Thread

dryslot

Sleeting now in Stowe Village at 35F.

Ayer Mass, and we lost 10 F in about 20 minutes when the boundary came through.  

ALB flipping to snow now.   Temps into the 30s in western MA and CT... Snowing on the back end pivot of the precip ball associated with the southern v-max, and it wouldn't shock me if our original ideas re some last minute snow takes place.   Certainly over western zones one would think so.   Rad still loaded down the coastal plain so we have several hours of periodic output, now with steadily falling temps, we put a warm surge event behind us. 

Commented in the other Dec thread... Appears some kind of low to mid grade winter weather scenario next mid week.   Not sure I'm buying the Euro's focused coastal, but not shocking that it trended colder.  I mentioned it would and reasons why yesterday.   GGEM/GFS never wavered on that...  

Ground freezes,  or refreezes overnight and tomorrow will be shocking to those down this way that punched the 60s today.  I was out and around and ladies were donned in yoga pants -- there's a meme in our culture where woman want to advertise certain aspects but I digress...  Fun times ahead.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winter Weather Advisory issued from BTV here for 2-5" tonight and locally more above 1,500ft.

* LOCATIONS...ORLEANS...LAMOILLE...EASTERN FRANKLIN AND EASTERN  CHITTENDEN COUNTIES.* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW* ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 5 INCHES OF HEAVY DENSE SNOW WITH LOCALLY  HIGHER AMOUNTS ABOVE 1500 FEET.* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...UP TO A HALF INCH PER HOUR TONIGHT.

They have town at around 3" tonight with the mountain getting 6-8".  Sounds reasonable.

Winter Weather Advisory issued from BTV here for 2-5" tonight and locally more above 1,500ft.

* LOCATIONS...ORLEANS...LAMOILLE...EASTERN FRANKLIN AND EASTERN  CHITTENDEN COUNTIES.* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW* ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 5 INCHES OF HEAVY DENSE SNOW WITH LOCALLY  HIGHER AMOUNTS ABOVE 1500 FEET.* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...UP TO A HALF INCH PER HOUR TONIGHT.

They have town at around 3" tonight with the mountain getting 6-8".  Sounds reasonable.

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

The higher totals will be on the picnic table quite certain

Stuff south of LI appears to be pretty healthy; wonder if this is a flash freeze later?

I don't think it will be a classic flash freeze except up in the mountains where the low levels are saturated with upslope snow falling when the cold rushes in....for us, the dews will be outracing the temp drop and a flash freeze won't be able to materialize. (disclaimer: that doesn't mean some standing puddles won't freeze, it just means you wont get a classic "all surfaces turn into a skating rink" type flash freeze...which is really what flash freeze means)

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=N0R&rid=lwx&loop=yes

You'll note the green echos dying out--it's drying up--also check obs-not much falling...will we see flakes?  Sure, but no big deal-better have the weenie spotlight on... :snowing: I will!

I only care about my flakes here in Princeton now. They should be here soon. After the heavy back edge moved through we had breaks in the clouds. Now cloudy again and light precipitation beginning again. I'm confident I get a period of snow. Currently 36/34.

Archived