northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013

dryslot

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The domains of the masses are rising from their foundations upon the winds and gravity waves. The light of man is absorbed by the wings of moisture, feet of frozen crystals douse the landscape, and our precious youth starve but for the drop of their mothers' dwindling teat. And we are left to dry up and to contemplate this one thought: what we asketh of the Lord, we hath received.

Vim Toot?

Hope you all are loving it. What an epic storm!  I've had a blast with a few of my New England buddies here at Penn State watching it...trying to make the best of not being able to be home for it. Thank god for twitter and live streams of newscasts!

I feel the same way dude.  I live in the woods...everywhere is sheltered by woods or too close to the house. I can get decent measurements in calm events...but these kind of events I guarantee I'll be lower than every surrounding report by at least a few inches. I figure if I'm getting 18" now...reality is probably closer to 20"

Yeah i was doing fine at first but now it's just catching up.  I have no yard, and what little yard I have has a few trees/bushes and doesn't extend far from the house.  

Neighbors yards aren't of any help either...in fact even worse.

I think at 1:30 I will go up the street a bit...there might be a spot I can find there.  So if we had a 21'' report here at around 11:45-ish I should be measuring a solid 24-26''.  If I come up with that I will be happy.  

I give up on measuring on this storm...just coming in way too low.  Just no way I will ever be able to measure accurately here.  I always come in too low.  

Hey the other guy may be high. A deck or patio next to a house is a BAD spot to measure. Heck I got 3 feet from roof blow off next to the house.

04Z TrendCast Update (http://smartwxmodel.net/MA.htm)

Boston: Continued Moderate to Heavy Snow, with average snowfall rates of 1.6 to 1.8"/hr til 13Z.  Still looking for an additional 10-15" of accumulations.  Winds will continue to gust 45-51Kts til 11Z.

Hartford: continued Moderate to Heavy Snow with average snow rates of 1.7 to 1.9"/hr til 10Z.  Still looking for an additional 7-10" of accumulations.

boston is now getting crushed on radar. listen for some thunder guys

And yet, KBOS still reporting 3/4 mile visibility. Only one obs of 1/4 mile the whole event so far, even with winds gusting over 50 mph, heavy snow and temps near 20F. Try explaining that this thing doesn't meet blizzard criteria according to KBOS obs. Strange.

KBOS 090454Z 01026G42KT 3/4SM R04R/2200V3500FT -SN OVC003 M06/M07 A2958 RMK AO2 PK WND 01044/0410 SFC VIS 9 VIS 1/2 E SLP015 P0003 T10611072 400111067 $

Archived