• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013

dryslot

Someone could seriously crack 40''...especially for those who are already just past the 2' mark...this band doesn't look to be going anywhere relatively soon so another 3+ hours of 2-4''/HR rates is likely.  

You have to figure there will be large scale snow drifts in this one. The sides of some narrow valley are going to end up with the most.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don;t try to rationalize with Ray right now...if you have experienced storms with him back to '07...this is always the phase where he melts down and then after that he catches up to everyone since he lives in NE MA and is the last one to see heavy snow end.

meh just don't say the band will rotate "thru" . bc when it does it is 2 inch rates for like 90 mins then gone.

we need some echos over NE mass /SE nh that can produce 2 inch an hour rates ...i'm not sure it's happening

it's def snowing over an inch an hour where i am and down to bos. i mean it's been pretty good here last several hours but just NE more shredded look

So since this is stalled, does this last all night at intensities close to this?  There is no eastward component to the western edge of the precip shield in my eyes.

It's maxed out - Rad will will fill in, in a kind of stable output phase, but the bands of 35bz+ are less likely... More like a uniform .5 to .75" hour as it starts to slowly pivot away.  

Edit, maybe 1.5" per hour in bands.. but no one is getting those 6" hour bursts going forward. 

You've got 20" already in Boston?

I haven't been out to measure and it's tough but Scott has been ahead of me by an inch or two all night and it's up to bumpers on cars here and some cars completely covered like mounds so if I had to guess I'd say we're at least around 15-17" here

meh just don't say the band will rotate "thru" . bc when it does it is 2 inch rates for like 90 mins then gone.

we need some echos over NE mass /SE nh that can produce 2 inch an hour rates ...i'm not sure it's happening

I'm sure everyone will feel sorry for someone who gets 22" of snow.

This is the jackpot fetish coming out now that I know happens with every storm.

That's awesome Ryan, and to think you thought you may be porked..lol. It did look that way, but more and more I think we have to look a H7 and up to H5. Still, this may have gotten a hair west of what even those features showed.

This was a rare storm where even though the 850/700 lows were able to escape east the strong forcing from the nrn stream s/w was able to compensate and result in a farther band than you'd typically see. The whole thing was just stretched west.

What happened over S CT was just bizarre and very special. Upright convection with heavy graupel and small hail. Some really odd sh*t happened to like a area of all rain in a few towns near the CT River while miles away (southeast and southwest) they kept snow/graupel. Just bizarre stuff. 

Exactly....pretty clear it's CT's event...even after  last minute "further ne stalls".

Haven't seen a plow in hours, nor heard one for that matter, and they can be heard from pretty far away.

SN+ probably about 15" OTG, again that's totally a guess based on what I see out the window, if it's wrong it's most likely overdoing it, last time I got a decent idea was about an hour ago and had about 5" plowed away plus the 8.5" from earlier, and assuming 1.5" in the last hour. Fairfield trio, what are your totals now, into 20's yet? Would say 50-50 to crack 20" at this point, got into a sweet band for 2 hours which dumped 5", helped the totals out a bunch.

-skisheep

This was a rare storm where even though the 850/700 lows were able to escape east the strong forcing from the nrn stream s/w was able to compensate and result in a farther band than you'd typically see. The whole thing was just stretched west.

What happened over S CT was just bizarre and very special. Upright convection with heavy graupel and small hail. Some really odd sh*t happened to like a area of all rain in a few towns near the CT River while miles away (southeast and southwest) they kept snow/graupel. Just bizarre stuff. 

That hailstorm really hurt us here. Lasted a good 3 hours. Probably robbed us of a good 4-6". But I was surprised we probably still managed 5" during that period, which is damn impressive considering how low the ratios would've been.

Archived