• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013

dryslot

No it is not!  not even close....  Tide attribute destruction and spatial coverage of 25+ " snow totals not nearly of that tier...   But we have a ways to go -

How crazy is the wind out over eastern MA? Gusts over hurricane force at this point? We dealt with that for Sandy, but can't imagine what that would do with snow added onto it plus spring tides.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CT Governor story has only been mentioned on TWC.  So, take it with a grain of salt.  

I can say that in hurricanes down here in the Republican dominated South, emergency vehicles will be ordered off the roads.  So, if  it's true, it's not unprecedented. 

i actually just heard a plow right now but it was the first one in quite some time and it didn't even sounds like it was plowing...might have been a private contractor vehicle.  

It got further west I think and it's stronger.  HRRR wasn't far enough west...although I'll say this these guys always say the heaviest band ends up NW of where we'd normally think and that's pretty much what happened today. 

NAM had it crushing down here right now, and it's sucking wind as we're spinning dry pockets in circles.  Euro...lol even the new Euro is struggling with CT/LI.  The NAM got crapped on for days....was pretty lousy until this time last night and then it looks like it did better than most.

Anyway, the game changed down here when we lost the stall south/se of the cape and it became e and now the new 0z Euro for 12z Saturday is another touch NNE, good for Maine and ski country, bad for the Cape. 

Great storm, just would have been happier MBY with the Euro of a day or so ago but then again I've lived through 78/97/05 and I'm glad Ryan and others are getting their turn.

No one in CT is getting the winds we're getting now.  Or the thick mud sludge snow.  In terms of ballsiness, we're going through it...and like the troopers we are.  So I never understand why it's just a snow-depth issue, other than a pissing contest.  2 feet of fluff really doesn't matter when you and I have farm animals and cinder blocks being launched into orbit over Atlantic waves crashing at 30 feet...during LOW tide.  But if you don't live on the coast, maybe that doesn't matter...and the 24 inches of cotton candy does.

Listening to a scanner in my area. Police in CT are finding abandoned cars, plow trucks, etc all over. Obviouslly this is causing big issues. So I do understand the possibility the State has ordered PRIVATE plows off the road. A lot of the guys are rookies and have not drove in a decent storm.

i actually just heard a plow right now but it was the first one in quite some time and it didn't even sounds like it was plowing...might have been a private contractor vehicle.  

...thank goodness they had the wisdom to get most of the cars off the roads so the roads could be cleared when this is over.    

Looking forward to seeing more pix from West of the river!

How crazy is the wind out over eastern MA? Gusts over hurricane force at this point? We dealt with that for Sandy, but can't imagine what that would do with snow added onto it plus spring tides.

Check out the outage map. Worst Ive ever seen here. The wet plaster snow froze and the these winds did all sorts or damage. Crazy stuff.

What's going on now with this big donut in eastern ma?

...thank goodness they had the wisdom to get most of the cars off the roads so the roads could be cleared when this is over.    

Looking forward to seeing more pix from West of the river!

I will take video of my journey...just in case I fell and get stuck in a snow drift (happened to me in Feb 2006...was stuck for like 10-20 min) and die whoever finds me when spring comes can upload the video.

In Stoughton Mass here.  I have no idea how much snow is outside, but it is an absurd amount.  It still feels like it is falling at 2-3" per hour and the winds are absolutely insane.

This is the f'ing perfect Blizzard.  I don't care where you are or how much you've gotten, it is insane all the things that have happened and come together and this is truly a blessing of a blizzard.

Complete bust in central maine.

Maybe 2-2.5" so far.   GYX keeps lowering the totals...

I'm sorry you haven't gotten into the good stuff yet, fellow Mainer!   16-1/2" a few minutes ago here at Pine Point Beach, Scarborough.  100 feet from the Atlantic Ocean.  12F and HOWLING winds.  And to think we're only really not even halfway through the event, apparently!  Hoping to break the all-time Portland single-storm record of 27.1", from 1979.

Archived