wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013

dryslot

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been reading this thread since 6pm tonight from NE IL where I got 10" of concrete snow from the first part of the storm. I've been enjoying reading the backyard posts, seeing the pics and videos - keep them coming! Stay safe and enjoy the snow! :snowing:

Check out the outage map. Worst Ive ever seen here. The wet plaster snow froze and the these winds did all sorts or damage. Crazy stuff.

What's going on now with this big donut in eastern ma?

Ugghh, like you said, the developments are working out best for the well west/north areas of SNE. Very impressive forcing/lift out that way. You still have quite a long way to go though. We had sleet for hours on end for a good chunk of LI which killed our chances at the really epic outcome but 40 miles from here is pulling away with 30" already. I'll be happy with 10" or a foot.

I just hope the surge and tides aren't that high. For us, the 80-90 mph wind was bad but the tides did 95% of the damage.

I'd be happy with just getting near what was forecast for once this winter I'm not greedy.

Euro/nam/gfs... None of them has this donut hole over the area for much of the night. Intracacies of major systems.

I've lived thru a bunch of huge storms inland. Nothing rivals the noise and power of something like this near the coast but I'd gladly have exchanged that for the 18" snow.

I was born and bred- I won't tell you how many times- in Connecticut.  My folks live there now.  I think it's just grand that this is happening.  I mean, it's better than up there in Boston.  But I still like Boston, too.  You see, I'm sort of stuck...stuck in the middle of everything grand.  Because Boston is grand.  But so is New York.   And to be really honest, I'm just not sure where to go from here.  So tonight, between the power outages and the Chardonnay refills, I booked myself a trip to Iceland.  And that is fabulous.  

Was able to gather an average between 24-25''!!!!  Not bad.  So maybe 24.5'' here but not sure if I want to use my total to submit,.  

But holy crap what an epic journey!!!!  Can't wait to post the pics/videos.  I just realized the videos will be skinny again but oh well.  

I also couldn't get out of a snow bank...was about 4.5' high so I had to basically fall over and roll down it into the road.  

Archived