wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013

dryslot

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was a rare storm where even though the 850/700 lows were able to escape east the strong forcing from the nrn stream s/w was able to compensate and result in a farther band than you'd typically see. The whole thing was just stretched west.

What happened over S CT was just bizarre and very special. Upright convection with heavy graupel and small hail. Some really odd sh*t happened to like a area of all rain in a few towns near the CT River while miles away (southeast and southwest) they kept snow/graupel. Just bizarre stuff. 

Yeah the nrn stream saved the day...lok at WV and you can see it Scooter sneak underneath..lol.

Deformation band moving overhead...under 1/5SM vis at the Canterbury RWIS over the last 15mins. 1" new last hour...up to about 9.5". Winds seem to be slacking off a bit.

It's a bit heartbreaking to see the yellow pixels start to wash out now that they are so near. 

I left my cam on and opened the aperture all the way up. You can still see the lights at the Weirs so the snow is light to moderate.

post-18-0-21250200-1360390477_thumb.jpg

That hailstorm really hurt us here. Lasted a good 3 hours. Probably robbed us of a good 4-6". But I was surprised we probably still managed 5" during that period, which is damn impressive considering how low the ratios would've been.

Deep River and Essex had like 2 hours of pouring rain. Had 2 seperate reports of people getting a bunch of their snow washed away. Just so odd.

ray the shred appears to be leaving.

MESO's i look'd at today were awful WRT  W SNE banding.

It got further west I think and it's stronger.  HRRR wasn't far enough west...although I'll say this these guys always say the heaviest band ends up NW of where we'd normally think and that's pretty much what happened today. 

NAM had it crushing down here right now, and it's sucking wind as we're spinning dry pockets in circles.  Euro...lol even the new Euro is struggling with CT/LI.  The NAM got crapped on for days....was pretty lousy until this time last night and then it looks like it did better than most.

Anyway, the game changed down here when we lost the stall south/se of the cape and it became e and now the new 0z Euro for 12z Saturday is another touch NNE, good for Maine and ski country, bad for the Cape. 

Great storm, just would have been happier MBY with the Euro of a day or so ago but then again I've lived through 78/97/05 and I'm glad Ryan and others are getting their turn.

This isn't a ct storm

For frozen totals it probably will be - for impact. no way!    The "storm", much to the snow obsessed, is about a storm, not just snow.  We still have a tide cycle later this morning that will be real dicey, and the power-outages over eastern Mass are staggering.   

Haven't seen a plow in hours, nor heard one for that matter, and they can be heard from pretty far away.

SN+ probably about 15" OTG, again that's totally a guess based on what I see out the window, if it's wrong it's most likely overdoing it, last time I got a decent idea was about an hour ago and had about 5" plowed away plus the 8.5" from earlier, and assuming 1.5" in the last hour. Fairfield trio, what are your totals now, into 20's yet? Would say 50-50 to crack 20" at this point, got into a sweet band for 2 hours which dumped 5", helped the totals out a bunch.

-skisheep

Had a couple on our street around 10:30...and there was probably nearly a foot in the street for them to clear. I have to imagine its slow going for them at this point on the secondary roads. 

Looking at the CT traffic cams...roads a pretty much deserted. I can't imagine being one of the few who is actually out there on the roads. Can't be a comfortable feeling.

Archived