joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013

dryslot

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got power restored here in SE Westerly...  Most of Weekapaug still out. 

Am I reading the snowfall totals for Westerly correctly???  14 inches???  Now I see why this area always come in with such incredibly low snowfall totals... 

I would guess between 20 and 23 here in the SE end of town... easily...

I have pictures so others can be the judge... but I have no idea how to upload...

I have no 'paperclip' icon to attach... If someone explains how to do it - or provides an email, I can share my pics...

Just got power restored here in SE Westerly...  Most of Weekapaug still out. 

Am I reading the snowfall totals for Westerly correctly???  14 inches???  Now I see why this area always come in with such incredibly low snowfall totals... 

I would guess between 20 and 23 here in the SE end of town... easily...

I have pictures so others can be the judge... but I have no idea how to upload...

I have no 'paperclip' icon to attach... If someone explains how to do it - or provides an email, I can share my pics...

go to the photo thread, there's instructions there...

I'm just north of Plymouth nh at mile 86 on 93 and I can see grass. Sick Effin gradient. Damn.

Snomo trails south of Farmington are blown down to the dirt (and corn stubble.)  What a bluebird day today - reminds me of the day after a tropical storm goes by, invariably sunny and near calm.

Irony:  While breaking their all time snowstorm record by 4.8", PWM failed to set a daily record for 2/9.  Their 16.6" fell shy of 1969's 17.0", their share of NYC's Lindsay storm.  (Their 15.3" on 2/8 did set a recoerd, however.) 

go to the photo thread, there's instructions there...

Thanks man... I tried... I'm usually computer literate but not this time...

I managed to upload 3 pics... one came out fine... and the other 2 appear upside down... unless you click on them, then their right side up...

I have a couple of other photos of tree damage in my neighborhood but until I figure out how to upload and display right side up, I'm not going to bother. 

You can get the idea though... that is not what 14 inches of snow looks like! 

Congrats on the snow everyone. You guys deserved it. We got 16" here. Had the dry slot from hell that cut down our totals. Still I'll take it. What was the highest wind gust down there? The southern tip of Nova Scotia had a gust to 164km/h or around 100mph. Caused some damage as well as the storm surge.

In urban areas like my street.....there is a large loss of available roadway. Tomorrow is going to be chaos if they don't get the guys here tonight to move some snow banks.

Was out all around today. Shocked by how freaking bad the roads are in some towns. Almost like the driving ban kept the snow packed down and the plows couldn't get through the lower crud. I mean total chaos. Plymouth a mess. Bourne ok. Wareham and onset a mess.

Becoming a serious situation for homeowners down this way. Nstar has crews in from Canada and the rest of the US but the non-union management seems to be as bad as I've heard. Lots of sitting around in parking lots by out of state crews awaiting instructions. Meanwhile after two days the ambient temperature is falling close to 32 in a lot of homes. Tonight could be the night we see burst pipes etc.

Nstar is saying most should be back by 10/14.

The damage is pretty astounding. A pole ripped out of its foundation at Shaws, bolts sheared. Buoys up in people's yards in Plymouth harbor ...the big navigation buoys you see offshore. Poles snapped, lines down. Total mess.

The one negative of me coming out to mass. for the storm is I now have post-storm depression haha..,.Am I the only one? Usually a few days after a big snowstorm I seem to feel down.  I think of the great aspects of snowstorms is they take your mind off of the daily grind of life for a day or 2..After its over you realize normal life returns lol. 

I enjoyed my stay out here and like the area, going home tomorrow. 

Archived