joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013

dryslot

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out this photo from nstar. Some reports of winds around 80 in that area at the time this happened. This is off route 6, near the water.

http://ow.ly/i/1uYwA/original

No doubt tip of the iceberg right there for such widespread power outages.

Eager to see more reports from southeast MA... scant TV/internet reports are letting imagination run. Will be a very hard few nights without power until temps moderate.

The NSTAR map for Plymouth has improved slightly... 84% vs. > 90% earlier today.

Hope you and fam get your power back quickly.

Post-storm depression is setting in. Such a high to come off of.

I'm tracking the 2/13 threat (which is bigger for the DC crowd than here) to keep myself occupied and sane. Post-storm depression is the most realistic pyscho-phenom and annoying part about monster storms.

I'm tracking the 2/13 threat (which is bigger for the DC crowd than here) to keep myself occupied and sane. Post-storm depression is the most realistic pyscho-phenom and annoying part about monster storms.

Most everyones in bed by 11 the night after a storm, I wish we had cold weather forecast for a week out to keep it looking good for while but its getting later in the winter for that.

Will, I'm sure your sentiments are shared by most here. Mets or not.

We've had multiple nights of not being able to sleep out of sheer excitement, and suddenly it's over.

Amazing how a daily schedule of work and sleep has been so rearranged around model run times lol.

Tonight I pulled out and read parts of Kocin's book just to fill in the void.

Not only is there post-storm depression, but the next pedestrian event will be so anti-climactic (unless it's wildly anti-climatic).

Last thought... there was such great atmosphere in here yesterday... we should have a SNE g2g after these big events.

No doubt tip of the iceberg right there for such widespread power outages.

Eager to see more reports from southeast MA... scant TV/internet reports are letting imagination run. Will be a very hard few nights without power until temps moderate.

The NSTAR map for Plymouth has improved slightly... 84% vs. > 90% earlier today.

Hope you and fam get your power back quickly.

It seems like the only areas in Plymouth that got rebooked were near pilgrim as their priority was obviously to get them back on the grid to avoid any problems. I'm actually pretty discouraged by the "progress" nstar is making. There isn't a truck within 5 miles of here that anyone has seen. Places like mattspoiset are still entitled out going into 36 hours.

Plymouth back up to 88% as some that got it have lost it again. They don't have nearly enough crews down here for the scale of the problem. They're offering no timelines really to anyone including police and fire. I think this is going to be a long fix.

Best of luck Scott, Phil, others. My mom has no power, so she came up from RI to.stay. I guess a substation and big transmission line went in the Newport area...

It's bad in those areas that have no power. Trees everywhere, roads, lines, roofs..everywhere from what I've seen. I'm going down later to my in-laws to drop them off...they stayed here last night. With it dropping below zero there..the house must be unbearable. My guess is many will have no school as they are saying hopefully by Tuesday most will have power.

no idea what the final toal was here .. anywhere between 25"-30" is reasonable. just took the past 4 hours to shovel the driveway since the snow blower decided to die on me .. 5'-7' walls of snow on either side of the driveway lol

Yep, it's not the shoveling that's a problem, it's the lifting.  :ee:

posted in wrong thread*****

lost power @ 10 on the 8th as a trunk transmission line onto aquidneck island went down. got power back late yesterday PM. heated up the house a little extra and it held @ 52 most of yesterday. have a gen but it wasn't configured to heat the house, gonna have my brother in law's work place make me a power cord to back feed my panel through the dryer outlet. this is the 3rd time in last 15 months we've lost power for at least 24 hours

not a lot of snow, but its so heavy and wet it has my 60 of my 10' + wichita blue and yews on the ground. just a shrub and landscape mauler here. don't know officially but it seems we got out 2.5-3" of qpf in 15" of cement. cleaned up my place and my mother's yesterday. my father in law is today. drove to cranston last night saw caravans on power and light up and down 95 , one crew from reed city MI so they are out there. NE Grid in RI put more than 100,000 household back on line yesterday. can't thank those guys enough

It's bad in those areas that have no power. Trees everywhere, roads, lines, roofs..everywhere from what I've seen. I'm going down later to my in-laws to drop them off...they stayed here last night. With it dropping below zero there..the house must be unbearable. My guess is many will have no school as they are saying hopefully by Tuesday most will have power.

For once, I did not mind being in the screw zone art damaging winds and dense snow.

Well...maybe a little. I was melting down and Brian was going to ban me.

That first six inches is so.dense here due to it being wind blown grains that are ground together. Powder on top

Boxing Day II

For once, I did not mind being in the screw zone art damaging winds and dense snow.

Well...maybe a little. I was melting down and Brian was going to ban me.

That first six inches is so.dense here due to it being wind blown grains that are ground together. Powder on top

Boxing Day II

It's all dense here. If I had no wind, lord knows how high it would be..but I love a true blizzard which it was. This was intense...TSSN and all. I get chills thinking about it. This is what I live for. The height of this storm was as bad as Jan 05 and April 97. I literally could not see 50' between SN and BLSN. I posted how I thought a street light went out because the snow was so heavy...this was during TSSN. I'll never forget it. 

Had a good chuckle getting the paper this morning, looking at my 8 ft snow banks in my small little driveway.  Picture perfect morning, sunny wind is down, rain tomorrow  and the slow melt will begin, will look much different next weekend.  Doubt I will ever see another storm like that, unreal.

post-865-0-90897100-1360502280_thumb.jpg

we should have a thread on this....jesus.  I took yesterday off from the internet (do it every Saturday), but part of what I was avoiding was the depression, especially since we "only got" 18 inches.  Will be in NYC Mon-Wed and PHL Wed-Thurs so maybe something to track there.  High hopes for Fri-Sat.  

About post storm depression....happens every time unless I get off the computer and get out in the snow for a good while.  I think it is related to the build up, and the way we keep thinking that it can't get here fast enough.  Then, boom! it is here and over in a flash.

post storm depression? Is this real?  Man it was awesome, and even more awesome shoveling out for 4 hours yesterday, but my favorite moment was last night pouring a nice single malt and walking around the block laughing at all the insane things we were seeing, this morning was an amazing sunrise.

Sled a thon today.........................get out and enjoy it guys!

Had a good chuckle getting the paper this morning, looking at my 8 ft snow banks in my small little driveway. Picture perfect morning, sunny wind is down, rain tomorrow and the slow melt will begin, will look much different next weekend. Doubt I will ever see another storm like that, unreal.

I thought you plow joe?

Nice pictures

Front end loaders have arrived to clear the street...(town DPW truck cleared a single path yesterday afternoon)   One of the neighbors had a bonfire last evening so we hit that for a while-all the adults having some libations and the kids all playing in the snow--quite the scene.   Looks like we can get out and into town today-will be fun to see the enormous snowpiles....

Archived