• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013

dryslot

Most of the roads in shelton have not even been touched and the ones that have are just one lane wide.  I just received a reverse 911 call saying basically "we are doing our best and be patience".  I'm sure there will be no school monday....maybe tuesday too?

Our town does a pretty good job. Message from the first selectman at 10-11 am this morning claimed all roads were passable...although ours went untouched between 10pm last night and 2pm today. But once they got to it a local contractor made about 4 passes followed by a town truck about an hour later. I guess I really didn't realize it until today how good a job they do until my wife called from her job at the hospital talking about how few of the day shift people made it in...and a sizeable percentage of the PM shift tonight doesn't seem like they're gonna make it in.  I guess a lot of other towns still buried.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you think it compares with the lake effect bands over the tug hill? This one over long island seemed to get its act together and get ANGRY, exploding over them. the lake effect bands seem to gradually develop, spread over the area and drift south, north....Similar I guess...but for the most part, I don't think they are even this organized. The stronger ones in the Tug are usually 3-4" per hour I would think?

If you don' t mind me stepping in, I've been in 7"/hr. for both LES near the Tug Hill region and synoptic (ie higher ratio) snows. The synoptic version is much more "intense", (for a lack of a better term)....but 7"/ hr. no matter the ratios is something only 0.0001% of humans EVER get tp experience!!!! Congrats to those who do!

Our town does a pretty good job. Message from the first selectman at 10-11 am this morning claimed all roads were passable...although ours went untouched between 10pm last night and 2pm today. But once they got to it a local contractor made about 4 passes followed by a town truck about an hour later. I guess I really didn't realize it until today how good a job they do until my wife called from her job at the hospital talking about how few of the day shift people made it in...and a sizeable percentage of the PM shift tonight doesn't seem like they're gonna make it in.  I guess a lot of other towns still buried.

Of course as I say that I read a not on our local website that alludes to some streets still not being open...so not sure why they made the claim about all being passable this morning. But the sleet really made things difficult here...had several inches of paste covered by 3-4 inches of sleet followed by about a foot of fluff. Apparently some rain did also fall and formed such a thick layer of ice in parts of town they've had to send a payloader down streets to break up the ice before the plows can even touch them. Maybe our street just got lucky.

Clintonville had a spotter report of 37" just a couple miles down the road...so it certainly backs up Hamden's report. It does make me wonder if any of the offices try to followup with any of the Public report beyond checking it against radar and surrounding obs. I'm not a spotter but got my report in today via Facebook...but they just kinda take my word for it without knowing really who I am. I did preface my report by mentioning "proper" measurement since a report from Clinton last night was almost definitely simply current snow depth.

#2 at BDL according to Ryans station.

The Clintonville measurements are a running joke among many of us. They're always the highest. 

I think 36" is probably a fair upper bound based on what I've seen though of course you can never rule out higher.

Congrats on a truly kick-ass blizzard.

You guys are true New Englanders. I expect to see FULL-WIDTH walks cleared by snowshovel, not these milquetoast 12 inch wide 'you can barely walk through' lame azz jobs.

Shovel like the Jebman. You do have a square edged construction shovel, right?

Get out there and methodically shovel out your entire driveway, sidewalk and porch and deck. I want to see at least eight feet of clearance around EVERY vehicle. Plow shoved an 18 foot mound of snow over your work? No excuses. Quit bitchin' and start pitchin. ESPECIALLY you, weatherwiz.

I had better start seeing pics of your 36 inch deep snow shoveled to full Jebman specifications.

Don't make me have to come up there and show all you seasoned, grizzled New Englanders how to carry out a proper shoveling job.

What I've seen so far is LAME. You do a shovelin' job you better do it right. I don't want to see these foot-wide lazy jobs! Shovel that snow like a true New Englander!

You guys are true New Englanders. I expect to see FULL-WIDTH walks cleared by snowshovel, not these milquetoast 12 inch wide 'you can barely walk through' lame azz jobs.

Get out there and methodically shovel out your entire driveway, sidewalk and porch and deck. I want to see at least eight feet of clearance around EVERY vehicle. Plow shoved an 18 foot mound of snow over your work? No excuses. Quit bitchin' and start pitchin. ESPECIALLY you, weatherwiz.

I had better start seeing pics of your 36 inch deep snow shoveled to full Jebman specifications.

Don't make me have to come up there and show all you seasoned, grizzled New Englanders how to carry out a proper shoveling job.

What I've seen so far is LAME. You do a shovelin' job you better do it right. I don't want to see these foot-wide lazy jobs! Shovel that snow like a true New Englander!

lol

New englanders don't shovel, we use straight plows, v plows, bobcats, snowblowers, graders, pay loaders, and now bulldozers. The only shoveling I did today was trying to get the pick up unstuck. Good thing I don't have sidewalks! :)

It snows in New England, so we have power equipment and stuff for snow removal. Except Kevin. He shoveled everything within a square mile of his house today. It will meet your  specifications.  Pics tomorrow.

How do you think it compares with the lake effect bands over the tug hill? This one over long island seemed to get its act together and get ANGRY, exploding over them. the lake effect bands seem to gradually develop, spread over the area and drift south, north....Similar I guess...but for the most part, I don't think they are even this organized. The stronger ones in the Tug are usually 3-4" per hour I would think?

If you don' t mind me stepping in, I've been in 7"/hr. for both LES near the Tug Hill region and synoptic (ie higher ratio) snows. The synoptic version is much more "intense", (for a lack of a better term)....but 7"/ hr. no matter the ratios is something only 0.0001% of humans EVER get tp experience!!!! Congrats to those who do!

I'd LOVE to experience EITHER version. What would you say is more intense about the synoptic banding ?? Is it that it is coming from a a system still DEVELOPING offshore with winds blowing it around ?

NOUS41 KGYX 100012

PNSGYX

MEZ007>009-012>014-018>028-NHZ001>010-013-014-180235--101212-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME

712 PM EST SAT FEB 09 2013

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 8

HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION

IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...SKYWARN

SPOTTERS AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE

ON OUR HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/GRAY

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

MAINE

...ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY...

2 E LEWISTON 25.5 159 PM 2/09

4 S TURNER 24.0 1139 AM 2/09

2 ESE LEWISTON 21.5 1113 AM 2/09

DURHAM 20.6 459 PM 2/09

1 NW AUBURN 18.0 659 PM 2/09

...CUMBERLAND COUNTY...

GORHAM 35.5 234 PM 2/09

PORTLAND JETPORT 31.9 100 PM 2/09

WESTBROOK 30.0 1132 AM 2/09

STANDISH 28.0 100 PM 2/09

PORTLAND - N DEERING 26.5 1137 AM 2/09

GRAY NWS OFFICE 26.4 1259 PM 2/09

GRAY 24.0 1112 AM 2/09

BRIDGTON 22.5 103 PM 2/09

5 NNW PORTLAND 21.4 204 PM 2/09

NORTH SEBAGO 20.0 427 PM 2/09

...FRANKLIN COUNTY...

EUSTIS 4.5 412 PM 2/09

...KENNEBEC COUNTY...

AUGUSTA 28.0 245 PM 2/09

1 SE AUGUSTA 23.0 243 PM 2/09

RANDOLPH 19.0 146 PM 2/09

...KNOX COUNTY...

1 SSW CAMDEN 22.0 535 PM 2/09

...OXFORD COUNTY...

1 W OTISFIELD 24.0 1122 AM 2/09

...SAGADAHOC COUNTY...

RICHMOND 26.5 202 PM 2/09

...YORK COUNTY...

BERWICK 32.0 1221 PM 2/09

2 NE KENNEBUNK 29.0 250 PM 2/09

SACO 25.0 354 PM 2/09

HOLLIS 24.5 115 PM 2/09

1 SSW CORNISH 23.0 547 PM 2/09

NEW HAMPSHIRE

...BELKNAP COUNTY...

LACONIA 23.9 538 PM 2/09

3 SSE GILFORD 18.0 127 PM 2/09

2 NE LOCHMERE 18.0 1252 PM 2/09

4 ENE MEREDITH 14.7 232 PM 2/09

...CARROLL COUNTY...

1 SE WAKEFIELD 23.5 519 PM 2/09

WOLFEBORO 22.7 631 PM 2/09

...COOS COUNTY...

WHITEFIELD 4.0 354 PM 2/09

...GRAFTON COUNTY...

LEBANON 16.0 1147 AM 2/09

...MERRIMACK COUNTY...

CONCORD ASOS 24.0 104 PM 2/09

HENNIKER 21.0 633 PM 2/09

...ROCKINGHAM COUNTY...

5 W SEABROOK 29.3 216 PM 2/09

ATKINSON 25.0 600 PM 2/09

2 ENE STRATHAM 23.0 351 PM 2/09

1 NNE DEERFIELD 21.0 1218 PM 2/09

HAMPSTEAD 20.4 324 PM 2/09 WEST HAMPSTEAD

...STRAFFORD COUNTY...

3 NE ALTON 19.0 1211 PM 2/09

...SULLIVAN COUNTY...

EAST LEMPSTER 19.0 243 PM 2/09

$$

MC

I went for a jebwalk.

no idea what the final toal was here .. anywhere between 25"-30" is reasonable. just took the past 4 hours to shovel the driveway since the snow blower decided to die on me .. 5'-7' walls of snow on either side of the driveway lol

Weenie total of 30" was reported...I went with 28.5"...impossible to be accurate. 

Most of the roads in shelton have not even been touched and the ones that have are just one lane wide.  I just received a reverse 911 call saying basically "we are doing our best and be patience".  I'm sure there will be no school monday....maybe tuesday too?

Wouldn't be surprised if you are right. I'm on a dead end and I've gone 48 hrs + in the past for less than this without a plow. Figuring a Monday plow siting will be a bonus at this point. Not looking forward to what that will create at the end of the driveway.

It snows in New England, so we have power equipment and stuff for snow removal. Except Kevin. He shoveled everything within a square mile of his house today. It will meet your  specifications.  Pics tomorrow.

I like high snowbanks as much as the next guy, I love 10 foot drifts and a walkway to the front door that looks like a tunnel, but no way I would shovel what we got today, thats what God made snowblowers for.

I SHOVEL DA#N IT. And I have the biggest and longest driveway any of you. It is Uphill, Wide AnD Long! I must have missed the movement to go from shoveling to other quipment because I've never done anything else. It is So fun to Make your snow piles correctly and the way you want. I call it "Interaction with the Snow". And when you are done you look back and go Yeah I did all that.

And Yes Tug Hill is completely different story when it comes to snow intensity. I'm talking about down here.

Chris L, on 09 Feb 2013 - 19:24, said:snapback.png

I take that 1978 is still king?

Would this be better than 2005, I'll assume yes *except for Cape*.

78 was better imby, but Conn didnt get the full brunt of 78, this was their 78, this one is second place all time for me though, I took a ride around town today and the piles are enormous, the banks on the side of the road are so high you cant see oncoming traffic. Im going to take a ride tomorrow to some great drifting areas and take pics.

lol at the shovelling post.  I like my edges crisp, like what a snow blower does.  I like the fact that I can direct the output and lay down a nice glacier on the shady side of my house and have snow the longest in my neighborhood.  Yes, I am proud of that fact and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Hey, I thought there was supposed to be a limit to the number of pages in a thread.  This one is 115 pages.  It sort of jumped out at me.

I SHOVEL DA#N IT. And I have the biggest and longest driveway any of you. It is Uphill, Wide AnD Long! I must have missed the movement to go from shoveling to other quipment because I've never done anything else. It is So fun to Make your snow piles correctly and the way you want. I call it "Interaction with the Snow". And when you are done you look back and go Yeah I did all that. And Yes Tug Hill is completely different story when it comes to snow intensity. I'm talking about down here.

I expect "Interaction With the Snow Polka" to be hitting iTunes in the near future.

78 was better imby, but Conn didnt get the full brunt of 78, this was their 78, this one is second place all time for me though, I took a ride around town today and the piles are enormous, the banks on the side of the road are so high you cant see oncoming traffic. Im going to take a ride tomorrow to some great drifting areas and take pics.

The banks and snow depth is secondary for me because I remember the 40-48" and the banks we had a couple of years ago.  That being said, having 2'+ wall on either side of my walk ways is pretty awesome.

I SHOVEL DA#N IT. And I have the biggest and longest driveway any of you. It is Uphill, Wide AnD Long! I must have missed the movement to go from shoveling to other quipment because I've never done anything else. It is So fun to Make your snow piles correctly and the way you want. I call it "Interaction with the Snow". And when you are done you look back and go Yeah I did all that. And Yes Tug Hill is completely different story when it comes to snow intensity. I'm talking about down here.

Yeah but can you play the accordion while your cleaning your driveway?

I'm sure it's buried in the 115 pages, but what did you get up there?

We drove from exit 3 on rte 3 some 30 miles to New Bedford along rte 25, 195. Not a light on from here to the city limits of New Bedford which is well lit/few problems. Some gas stations were empty but others were fine. Food places operating normally. Never saw a repair truck.

The cape cod canal I think is closed for navigation. There is no power for the lights on either side and the bridges are dark. I've never ever seen that.

The snow amounts are hugely variable. On 195 in New Bedford you can see even the big plows struggled and had to dump the snow every 50 yards. Further east less. 195 is fine as was 495 until the last exit before the bridge. It's snow covered after that and pretty nasty due to the days snow.

Awesome pic from Colebrook!! The gradient was massive.... 28" in Colebrook and only 18" in Norfolk!!!

This Tweet I got a bit OK made me smile :) 

joey sciarra @joey20021714
@ryanhanrahan How much would you estimate that we got in Tolland? Kevin says 35", but I couldn't find anything above 30" in our yard...

Archived