joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013

dryslot

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our indoor soccer complex in town which is a huge sporting complex  had the bubble roof collapse last night..3 feet of snow was too much for it.. We were supposed to have a game there today at noon. I tried getting over there for pics but they have the road blocked off

Two bubble domes that i recall in this area(Mansfield, Bridgewater) failed for that very reason. You need a hard roof. One never reopened and the other converted to hard roof.

Two bubble domes that i recall in this area(Mansfield, Bridgewater) failed for that very reason. You need a hard roof. One never reopened and the other converted to hard roof.

Here's the link..We just found out this morning.

They had done extensive research and it was supposed to withstand 50  inches of snow and 100mph winds. It attracts leagues from all over CT..and there's volleyball and basketball courts inside too. I'm there 2x every weekend at least and sometimes 3

Here's the link..We just found out this morning.

Star Hill Bubble Collapses from Heavy Snow

They had done extensive research and it was supposed to withstand 50 inches of snow and 100mph winds. It attracts leagues from all over CT..and there's volleyball and basketball courts inside too. I'm there 2x every weekend at least and sometimes 3

As that wasn't even wet snow. 30" fail.

i urge people in ffld county west of westport to take the drive up this way........was just in norwalk and darien, its a different world. Its like driving through a lake effect favored area.  If you love snow, you have to drive up here, its EPIC.

No chance of school tomorrow,streets not plowed cars stranded and stuck national guard on the way with the heavy machinery, utility trucks stuck on 95 near exit 19 95 is backed up for nearly ten miles its armageddon baby 

now to shovel the roof and foundation, rain on the way............storm drains covered over, mid to upper 40s and rain here a disaster is looming for some.

see ya

i urge people in ffld county west of westport to take the drive up this way........was just in norwalk and darien, its a different world. Its like driving through a lake effect favored area. If you love snow, you have to drive up here, its EPIC.

No chance of school tomorrow,streets not plowed cars stranded and stuck national guard on the way with the heavy machinery, utility trucks stuck on 95 near exit 19 95 is backed up for nearly ten miles its armageddon baby

now to shovel the roof and foundation, rain on the way............storm drains covered over, mid to upper 40s and rain here a disaster is looming for some.

see ya

Mid to upper 40's?? Not likely

i urge people in ffld county west of westport to take the drive up this way........was just in norwalk and darien, its a different world. Its like driving through a lake effect favored area. If you love snow, you have to drive up here, its EPIC.

see ya

Snow will absorb that rain easily I had a severe the t storm in 11 with 1.5 rain on 2 feet of snow and it was just swallowed

4 hours just to dig my car out from an apartment parking lot - cant imagine those with driveways, sidewalks, etc. nowhere to put it....improvised by filling up my trash can and carrying it to a grassy area. The parking lot has 6-8 foot canyons between cars who have dug out and those who haven't.

Anyone who doesn't clean today will be sorry tomorrow

I'm going to go out on a limb and say no school all week based on what I am seeing, in my town anyways.  Most roads are one lane wide that are clear and cars don't cut it.  I also think the national guard and/or other towns will need to be called in here. 

The word is shelton pulled the plows off the road in the middle of the storm due to safety and now over half the trucks are broken and we only own a few payloaders. So plows don't cut it anymore and all the roads will need the big stuff to even cut down the middle of them, let alone widen them.

Almost every side road looks like this.  And to make matters they did plow a little on friday night, so there was some snow on the sides of the road and as you can see it is completely filled in.  

post-661-0-29887800-1360521394_thumb.jpg

Just got the word all schools closed monday and tuesday

Not suprised at all, rest of the week a decent possibility. Not sure the driving up thing is such a good idea though, have heard 95 is a total mess east of norwalk. Rumor is down here that school might close tomorrow, not sure why they would do that, roads down here are fine.

-skisheep

Archived