12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013

dryslot

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

14" solid here on the Cape.  Ocean effect snows are clobbering us right now, tremendous dendrite and snow to liquid ratios are allowing fast accumulations and snow rates look to be around 2-3"/hr.  These are the snows that were clobbering Rollo Tomasi and Plymouth county earlier today so accumulations are not final.  Radar has the band situated right over us at least for another hour or so, maybe more. 

Had 11.3" at 1 PM and just weenie flakes since, though there's been a nice band of 20-25 dbz parked about 10 miles west for the past 2 hr.  The oddly precise total is because I had 1.3" at 9 last night, before the winds made such precision ludicrous.  From then thru 7A I had 6.0" on 0.60" LE, tiny flakes and strong winds, then 7A-1P measured 4.0" with 0.20" LE, nice dendrites and aggregates in temps 8-12F.  Total LE so far is 0.85" for a ratio of 13.3 to 1.  Snowblower moved it easily, but the wind coming around both sides of the house tossed it back in my face whichever way the chute was aimed.  Not the mega-dump seen to the south, but this is the nicest and most wintry 10"+ event since 2/09.

Latest from PWM, at 2:50, was 31.9".  Blows away their old 27.1" record, and that was a fairly local event.  I'm not sure anyone else approached 2'back then and most places nearby had 10-15".  This storm has produced the most widespread 2'+ and 30"+ of any since I've been watching weather, going back to the mid-1950s.  Because of its relatively limited extent (compared to Jan 1996 and Mar 1993), I see this as NESIS 4 rather than 5, but for NYC and points north, it might be tops.  (1888 didn't do much in Maine, as far as I can tell.)

Most of my neighbors started and then stopped and gave up after about 1 hour or so due to the heavy snow and high winds. My community is banding together and getting our driveways plowed. My driveway is close to 200' long and I don't have a snowthrower.

I just spent 5.5 hours snow blowing the driveway, raking the roof and shoveling around the foundation. There was a lot of ice in my gutters. I had to chip it away with a ball peen hammer to clear it out as much as possible. I don't need a repeat of two years ago.

Had 11.3" at 1 PM and just weenie flakes since, though there's been a nice band of 20-25 dbz parked about 10 miles west for the past 2 hr.  The oddly precise total is because I had 1.3" at 9 last night, before the winds made such precision ludicrous.  From then thru 7A I had 6.0" on 0.60" LE, tiny flakes and strong winds, then 7A-1P measured 4.0" with 0.20" LE, nice dendrites and aggregates in temps 8-12F.  Total LE so far is 0.85" for a ratio of 13.3 to 1.  Snowblower moved it easily, but the wind coming around both sides of the house tossed it back in my face whichever way the chute was aimed.  Not the mega-dump seen to the south, but this is the nicest and most wintry 10"+ event since 2/09.

Latest from PWM, at 2:50, was 31.9".  Blows away their old 27.1" record, and that was a fairly local event.  I'm not sure anyone else approached 2'back then and most places nearby had 10-15".  This storm has produced the most widespread 2'+ and 30"+ of any since I've been watching weather, going back to the mid-1950s.  Because of its relatively limited extent (compared to Jan 1996 and Mar 1993), I see this as NESIS 4 rather than 5, but for NYC and points north, it might be tops.  (1888 didn't do much in Maine, as far as I can tell.)

Your windy sample of liquid equivalent reads more like mine...closer to 10:1. The winds were so strong that even the ASOS stations struggled with the liquid equiv. CON had 1.48" for their 24" and PWM 0.88" for their 31.9". I'm going to end up over double PWM's liquid for half of their snowfall. :lol:

Even as a severe weather enthusiast on the West Coast, this storm was one of the more incredible things I have witnessed in a long time. Congrats to everyone who destroyed in the totals.

Oh, and that death band (almost 60 dbz) over CT last evening was a thing of beauty, as was the giant banana band that smoked Central/E MA and Maine.

cape getting raked

wonder how areas on cape ann did , they took a beating today as well

Still random moderate bursts here but about over. Snowbanks are about 60" in driveway end down to 3-4 feet inside. I gave up on other half and slummed my neighbors snow blower.

Driveway had 20" uniformly. I shoveled the 3-4" cement last night before 10.

Beats me as to what the "official" number would be but based on about 15" east of this band today in sandwich and 11" reported by someone in Plymouth at 6am.... 7 hours of about 1.5" or so per hour bands and maybe 3" between 1 and 4?

We may get 1 more band to pop as it slides down from cape Anne. Won't get many reports from here 95% of Plymouth still dark

Who is the weenie 35" in Tolland?

Man, love how extreme SE MA and the Cape caught up...I thought they were fooked. What an absolute crush job of a storm. This will be revered with the creme of the crop.

We need to have a thread with all the maps, radars, and photos...that would be cool...The storm of all of our lifetimes for sure.  

Been out there all morning trying to clean out. I took a variety of measurements, my lowest being 25", and the largest, a drift at the end of the driveway mind you, was 6'! both the cars we have oin the street dissappeared. If I were to guess at a total I would say around anywhere from 28-32". Looking at the totals on Upton, Naugatuck got 30" and Wolcott got 33" so I will go with Naugy's total, seeing how I am a 1/4 mile from the line.

P.S. The roads around Waterbury are basically impassible unless you got a decent 4 x 4

Two independent reports from Woodbury, CT come in at 31" and 30" for those of you keeping track of CT falls.  

I hired guys to shovel the sidewalk and plow piles. Decided I had need to stay alive for awhile.

Good call, my plow guy lives in Fairfield and said that people were trying to shovel 30 inches themselves with a shovel, and were hiring him on the spot as he drove by they were so miserable. Out of curiosity what's the going rate for shoveling up there, my 19" cost me $90 for the sidewalks, front walk, and driveway, but we're on a corner so have more sidewalk, as well as a front and back door paths, he came yesterday afternoon as well when we had about 6", and then did the other 13" this morning.

-skisheep

Still random moderate bursts here but about over. Snowbanks are about 60" in driveway end down to 3-4 feet inside. I gave up on other half and slummed my neighbors snow blower.

Driveway had 20" uniformly. I shoveled the 3-4" cement last night before 10.

Beats me as to what the "official" number would be but based on about 15" east of this band today in sandwich and 11" reported by someone in Plymouth at 6am.... 7 hours of about 1.5" or so per hour bands and maybe 3" between 1 and 4?

We may get 1 more band to pop as it slides down from cape Anne. Won't get many reports from here 95% of Plymouth still dark

Thanks to this morning's fall, I am ending up with 17 inches.  Neighbor Jim said he has 2 feet, but he is notorious for exaggeration.  Like the time he said his mother "lived to biblical ages."  She dropped dead at 92.  Nice, but hardly "biblical."  So I am going with 17.

Archived