Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013

dryslot

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey CT people - any total snowfall amounts for me? Trying to make a list.

Did our collinsville poster post? He has great snowfall obs.

Trumbull, hard to say, but I cleared 10 inches last night at about 6:30, and my snowblower has an 18" mouth on it, and the snow was more than a few inches above that, so based on the 'very scientific' measuring schema - 30 inches or so.  Trumbull CT, 10 miles North of Bridgeport.

Does this make up for last winter and this winter up to this point?  ;)

Dude 28 might be conservative. Check out BOX total QPF. We had great banding all night except for one hour near 3-4am. I mean it's not like you dig cars out that are buried on once side from a drift. Every car has snow to the door handles.

Mega band is dwindling down, but not before dumping 2-3"/hr rates and ocean effect snow develops east of the band, with another band trying to make to the coastline before dissipating.

Eventually it'll move but look up the coast toward marshfield it keeps building back. Intensity keeps increasing. I will end up with way more snow than i thought because of this band. Will measure in protected areas out back in a bit but I'm thinking its getting over 2 0 now.

Mega band is dwindling down, but not before dumping 2-3"/hr rates and ocean effect snow develops east of the band, with another band trying to make to the coastline before dissipating.

Eventually it'll move but look up the coast toward marshfield it keeps building back. Intensity keeps increasing. I will end up with way more snow than i thought because of this band. Will measure in protected areas out back in a bit but I'm thinking its getting over 2 0 now.

USCAPE,

This is what's falling here as of 140pm.  Visibility mostly lower than a few hundred feet. Maybe 400-500 feet tops.

In the protected areas it's getting up to fence level.  7 hours ago that feeder/fence was maybe 5" deep.  That's a standard sized fence.

The band up towards Scituate will either push this into the epic phase or will just miss.  But there's some of the heaviest returns of the day (gold) on radar scope just to my north.

There will be some insane snow totals in this narrow band compared to areas 5 miles on either side.

post-3232-0-65983800-1360435361_thumb.jp

post-3232-0-70942500-1360435368_thumb.jp

post-3232-0-32364200-1360435511_thumb.jp

Dude 28 might be conservative. Check out BOX total QPF. We had great banding all night except for one hour near 3-4am. I mean it's not like you dig cars out that are buried on once side from a drift. Every car has snow to the door handles.

Some of the pictures from Boston are great. Cars waiting until Morch to see the light of day again.

I submitted mine to the NWS but for the record I had 26.1".  My second highest in 29 years.

The guy in Staffordville had 27.2 and he doesn't post here.

Let me correct that - the guy in Staffordville upped his total to 31.4".  I didn't have any measurement over 28" but he lives at the SW corner of a lake and I suspect on storms like this, especially with the wind that he gets a lot of drifting of the lake.  That or he does the every 6 hours bit, I'm not sure.

8" for a total here. Major, major disappointment on the west side of the Berkshires 5 miles from the NY line. The 12.1" on the ALY PNS for Lenox seems a bit high.

The death band made it to about the Berkshire crest before beginning to pivot away. There was a separate smaller band that set up just to my west along the NY/MA line, which may explain the 20" total in Alford if it is in fact accurate. I was between the smaller and main bands for a long time with 1 mile visibility -SN.

Glad others got to witness weather history. Enjoy the snow!

Ugh, an 11 yr old from Dorchester died from CO poisoning. Dig your car out before you start it.

One of the tv mets either Pete Bouchard or one of the other guys went out of his way to say don't run the car in the garage and make sure it's not covering the tailpipe. With today's catalytic converters it takes much longer but it can still happen. Terrible story

Been out there all morning trying to clean out. I took a variety of measurements, my lowest being 25", and the largest, a drift at the end of the driveway mind you, was 6'! both the cars we have oin the street dissappeared. If I were to guess at a total I would say around anywhere from 28-32". Looking at the totals on Upton, Naugatuck got 30" and Wolcott got 33" so I will go with Naugy's total, seeing how I am a 1/4 mile from the line.

P.S. The roads around Waterbury are basically impassible unless you got a decent 4 x 4

Let me correct that - the guy in Staffordville upped his total to 31.4".  I didn't have any measurement over 28" but he lives at the SW corner of a lake and I suspect on storms like this, especially with the wind that he gets a lot of drifting of the lake.  That or he does the every 6 hours bit, I'm not sure.

really? where'd you see that. I'd love to know his method (I'm guessing it's 6 hourly).

really? where'd you see that. I'd love to know his method (I'm guessing it's 6 hourly).

It was on the Public statement:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BOX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Like I said, he's right the lake and I think his yard fills up with snow off the lake because he's always 2-3" more than me on the larger storms when there is a lot of wind.  That being said, Spencer, MA is about 25 miles NE of us and they reported over 30" so I don't know.  I just know I didn't get anything over 28" in my yard.

Archived