• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013

dryslot

The truth is that good snow growth will compensate for the wind when it's really ripping. Even if it's just pouring fine flakes, it piles up. What was amazing last night is we still had perfect dendrites despite gusts to 50 mph.

It's not so much the snow growth it affects, but the wind causes major blowing and drifting which breaks the crystals down. I had great snow growth for awhile too, but my cores have been under 10:1.

I would have to agree, I would like to be able to do a core sample but that is going to be near impossible

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I had 8.5" at midnight and then the death band made it briefly over my head. At 12a I cleared a huge area and woke up with an additional 11". It's still accumulating, but it's probably a high end -SN with moderate at times. Haven't taken a core yet though. Actual depth around the yard is generally in the 15-17" range.

...TOLLAND COUNTY...

COVENTRY 30.5 851 AM 2/09 TRAINED SPOTTER

TOLLAND 30.5 914 AM 2/09 GENERAL PUBLIC

STAFFORDVILLE 27.2 829 AM 2/09 CO-OP OBSERVER

SOMERS 25.5 646 AM 2/09 TRAINED SPOTTER

STAFFORD SPRINGS 24.5 808 AM 2/09 NONE

Hey KevInMA,

How much for Attleboro? My brother said around 26 inches.

27.1'' here as of 9 am this morning (average of 10 snow depth measurements in protected area. No drifts in these measurements) . Peak wind gust was 54 mph at 7:30 am. I was up all night and can confirmed full fledged blizzard from 12 am through 9 am. 4 - 6 foot drifts throughout the area. Currently, temp 10.9 F, winds N 27 gusting to 35 mph SN/BLSN

You have a spotter ID or can I just put you in as Bath?

Morning, Eric!  Wow!  I dunno, though...  There's a part of me that feels like we're sort of "cheating" by including the CF 10-11" in our total at Portland, you know?  If that localized event hadn't happened yesterday AM and afternoon, we'd really only be at about 20" from the main event.  What do you think?  Is it right to count it all as "one" snowstorm for recordkeeping purposes?

Good luck trying to determine what forcing wasn't part of the "main system." The NE flow off the water was a result of the developing low pressure, just because we lucked out on the coastal front doesn't mean it's any less valid. Same for those guys on the eastern shores that benefit from ocean enhancement underneath the synoptic snow.

Good luck trying to determine what forcing wasn't part of the "main system." The NE flow off the water was a result of the developing low pressure, just because we lucked out on the coastal front doesn't mean it's any less valid. Same for those guys on the eastern shores that benefit from ocean enhancement underneath the synoptic snow.

Yeah, Its really one storm as there was no lag in precip since yesterday

4 feet of compacted, blown into  every crevice and niche front porch and length of the house back balcony...Light 'n Fluffy compresses to Igloo Blocks Cut To Order.  And then they have to be tossed up and over the side as to not smash the glass rail panels with the shovel.  I got part of it done: most of it still to go.  I'll still be digging tomorrow.  At least it doesn't feel cold while shoveling.

Location: North Andover, MA, within a mile of the Middleton and Boxford borders:  22 inches pretty consistent on unobstructed flat areas like the driveway parking area.  And it is still snowing.

Hopefully Tuesday does not hurt the pack much, especially considering we may get some more snow in here next weekend.

It looks like a gentle thaw with less than 0.25" of precipitation right now according to the NWS. A thaw like the one we had two weeks ago with heavy rain and 60F temps would be a disaster with such a heavy snowpack.

21-22 depth, will go with an event total of 24 inches allowing for compaction of which there was quite a bit of

9am to 9pm...4 inches with ratios prob 6-8 to 1...tiny needle like dendrites and from 6pm to 9pm vis was half to three quaters of a mile but the snow just wasnt piling up with the tiny flakes and all that wind.

9pm to 2:45am...17 inches, peak rate 4"/hr. and we never even got into the colors to the south but just had the fringe of real heavy stuff and then just a great deform band thereafter

2:45am til the snow stopped about an hour ago at least 3 more inches and again really tiny needle like dendrites once the mega band had moved just east of here

but i cannot fathom depths of a foot more on the level, and then factoring in a few more inches for settling/compaction and wind damage to the dendrites...many of those places in the low to mid 30's realistically had closer to 40!!

to get widespread two feet here in the spfd area is almost unheard of, only 1888 did it as far as i am aware and did it with a foot more to boot like those folks down in wallingford, meriden, colchester, coventry etc.

we had to get close to 2 inches qpf, this stuff isnt that light.

Archived