Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 19th Storm OBS Thread

DCAlexandria

1 minute ago, Harv_poor said:

Interesting. I belong to Woodholme and find it very hilly whereas when I golfed at Suburban I have thought of it as flat.

You've not wrong.  My skis are for touring and not speed.  They're also wider than typical XC skis so they handle fresh snow pretty well, as long as isn't super deep.

Snow overnight, which unfortunately I slept through, was very good. Snow today has been largely disappointing, especially given what some of the meso models showed. Other than a few better bursts, it's been mostly snizzle here and all cleared, paved surfaces have been melting for a couple hours. Light rates combined with less dense cloud cover has let the sun do its thing at these temps. Not seeing the pivot or any impact from the inverted trough this way yet.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WeatherQ said:

University of MD Medical System 

Bel Air MD

Warm and Dry feels like 87F

Heat Index 105F

oh … moderate snow outside 

ambulances getting covered 

Being from Texas, I still can't understand why buildings in colder climates are warmed to 80+ degrees. Inside should always be 65-70 tops no matter the season.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, nj2va said:

19 degrees and wind starting to gust. SN+ in this band

9cc42c55f387e6c38d503d0ae2d62162.jpg

DAAAAY-UMMMM!!!!  :D 

9 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Right at 4". Average of 5.5 snow depth in the yard. Took this when I was out shoveling off the front steps a little while ago. Temp 31.

house22.thumb.jpg.08ea5270f6311ff5579b50ad220a5b68.jpg

Thanks, @CAPE! I think you should pull up a chair on the deck and enjoy one of your killer IPAs while it's snowing today!  :D 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Snow overnight, which unfortunately I slept through, was very good. Snow today has been largely disappointing, especially given what some of the meso models showed. Other than a few better bursts, it's been mostly snizzle here and all cleared, paved surfaces have been melting for a couple hours. Light rates combined with less dense cloud cover has let the sun do its thing at these temps. Not seeing the pivot or any impact from the inverted trough this way yet.

Where you at?? I'm down by 103/100 and it was pretty heavy 8-12pm. Probably have 5" total. Last hour or so its been very light, fine snow.

7 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

From my hobbiest perspective it seems like the heavy axis of precip continued to shift south after 9-10am until it was centered over NoVa more so than Central MD where a lot of guidance showed it midday. Why? No idea. I'd would love to have a pro met give us some details on what they think happened.

It's still snowing in Charlottesville despite radar showing next to nothing down here. Fluffy dendrites too. Guidance had us partly cloudy by 10am when I went to bed last night. Wild.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, das said:

You can see the NW flow streamers LWX talked about in their AFD starting to form over WV.  It’ll be interesting to see these extend to the SE over time.  Pretty cool.

animated.thumb.gif.ac52a75436709edceeb6320eaac23a17.gif

Yep, they could have some good rate dendrites in those. Good lapse rates EJ alluded to will give them fuel. Maybe I can get a few of those off South Mountain and the Catoctins?

• Like 1

Just now, Deck Pic said:

31/29, -SN, 3"

Ma*t .  I want to think about the winds tonight. We got  over 6” almost everywhere and new  3-4+ of non compacted not wet snow .  My memories of good blowers and drifters is 15-20 sustained just won’t quite do it but at 25 magic starts and gusts to 35 causes white out. 
What did you think and any others who might be versed in this?

Thanks 

From my hobbiest perspective it seems like the heavy axis of precip continued to shift south after 9-10am until it was centered over NoVa more so than Central MD where a lot of guidance showed it midday. Why? No idea. I'd would love to have a pro met give us some details on what they think happened.
It's still snowing in Charlottesville despite radar showing next to nothing down here. Fluffy dendrites too. Guidance had us partly cloudy by 10am when I went to bed last night. Wild.

I miss a lot about living in Charlottesville, but I don’t miss the radar being useless!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

Where you at?? I'm down by 103/100 and it was pretty heavy 8-12pm. Probably have 5" total. Last hour or so its been very light, fine snow.

I am just east of where 40 and 70 meet up. There were some short bursts of maybe moderate snow in that period where the flakes were really nice but it seemed to flip back to snizzle pretty quickly. It's been mostly snizzle the past 2-3 hours. I must have had 3-4 on the ground when I woke up and it feels like I haven't added all that much since then.