Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 19th Storm OBS Thread

DCAlexandria

19 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

you got a measurement guess? I've been doing a shoddy job and am somewhere over 3" and that's all I can really say.

It has been snowing since 7am when I got my 2.5", but the accumulation has been paltry right up until this latest band with the dendrites started. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, katabatic said:

So the forecast for Garrett County is just epic. Not surprisingly, I cannot get anyone to go tubing with me at Canaan tomorrow (but had to buy tickets not only for tomorrow but Sunday as well...the only way to experience this is to be out in it!!) but @nj2va is in town and he and I are meeting at Mountain State Brewing Co (6690 Sang Run Rd. McHenry) tomorrow at 7 PM if any other like minded weenies are in the area. First round and pizza is on me. This is a time for celebration.

I thought about heading to the mountains this weekend, but the storm will mostly be over after tonight and the temps will be absurdly frigid with double digit negative windchills, so I chickened out :lol:

3 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I thought about heading to the mountains this weekend, but the storm will mostly be over after tonight and the temps will be absurdly frigid with double digit negative windchills, so I chickened out :lol:

Nj2 and I were in the mountains for the MLK storm + upslode event 2 years ago, couldn't link up that trip but want to get back out there for another doozie. That one was sick, a 20" event and whiteouts in the upslope bands + the winds behind the low. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Yeah, hence why I am not going skiing or tubing tomorrow.  Too damn cold, will stay in by the fire with a bourbon instead. :lol:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Been steady all morning with about 4" of new snow.  I walked over to the local golf course to do some xc skiing but it's been so long that the sole of my ski boot came off.  :lol:  I can't believe that I was able to walk home and not get my foot wet.  And just now, looking out the window, I see my neighbor coming back from a snowshoe walk.

image.jpeg.fce3a96e99abb9c73a756b5edd4e6c92.jpeg

Woodholme or Suburban?

7 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

It has been snowing since 7am when I got my 2.5", but the accumulation has been paltry right up until this latest band with the dendrites started. 

Its that goddamn cloud angle again.  

I've been stuck at 2.5" as well.  Getting some fatties right now but would need this to keep going to offset compaction.  Its nice to see it snow so I'm happy as hell.  

2.5" already beat what i expected out of this storm

8 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

I really like how the new precip appears to linking up with the existing band over us. 

7 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Yeah I’m in between bands now and it hasn’t let up

Actually I'm getting nervous about that... I was kinda holding out hope this next round might be decent up here but its starting to look like the next band wants to set up right where the last one did.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Nj2 and I were in the mountains for the MLK storm + upslode event 2 years ago, couldn't link up that trip but want to get back out there for another doozie. That one was sick, a 20" event and whiteouts in the upslope bands + the winds behind the low. 

I was there as well. Tried to meet up with nj2va but it didn’t end up happening. That one was incredible.

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

Its that goddamn cloud angle again.  

I've been stuck at 2.5" as well.  Getting some fatties right now but would need this to keep going to offset compaction.  Its nice to see it snow so I'm happy as hell.  

2.5" already beat what i expected out of this storm

You aren't wrong.  I wiped off the car and shoveled the sidewalks at 8am and they are just wet.  Still, snow on snow is working out.

• Like 1