Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 19th Snow on Snow: the this always works until it doesn't thread

psuhoffman

32 minutes ago, paxpatriot said:

No idea what they've seen that made them cut back on totals since last night. If anything, they should have increased them in some areas.

You have to remember that they are pros. They aren’t sitting down there waiting anxiously on the next model and then jumping up and down when it increases snow by a half inch like we are.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Interstate said:

I am talking more about ratios than anything... 

I don't exaclty expect it to be "puking fatties" tomorrow but this does not concern me with "marginal temps" nor "ratios".  Only box not really checked here is the DGZ depth is relatively narrow.gfs_2024011812_027_39.0--76.75.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

This snippet was in the AFD from LWX as well this morning 

There are indications of CSI banding moving from south to north
Friday morning, so areawide there could be brief reductions in
visibilities coupled with higher snowfall rates. Given cold
roads, travel could be slick/difficult Friday morning.
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, osfan24 said:

Actually thought totals would be higher than that after seeing the run play out.

Keep in mind some of the factors shifting it south are also leading to a less amplified wave so its decreasing the totals...so yes we get the max stripe of precip but its .2-.3 qpf not .5 like it was showing up in PA/NJ when it was there a few runs ago.  But this is about as good a compromise as we could have hoped for.  

1 hour ago, DDweatherman said:

You guys thought i was kidding last night when I said this was in the bag once thread #2 started. A northern stream wave trending south at gametime. @psuhoffman who would've thought?

1 hour ago, Terpeast said:

Stronger coastal / early transfer really makes a big difference here. Amazing what a couple mb or a 50 mile shift south on the upper levels can do

1 hour ago, Shad said:

what is the reason for the shift?  is the coastal low slightly stronger?

Yes the vort trended south slightly from 18z yesterday which was the worst run we had across the board IMO... but I think something else was a bigger factor.  

Look at the trend up over Michigan...

trend.thumb.gif.827e19752861376f83808c3a3e5f9941.gif

The orientation of the TPV lobe left behind at the tail of the trough changed.  There is more separation between that and the vort.   I think this is good in this case, the less phased, less amplified solution there is not pulling the NS feature to our NW as much and allowing the coastal (whatever weak one there is) to be more the focus sooner.  I think this is part of what is responsible for the sudden increase in our snow prospects...the rest being that I started a new thread of course! 

@WxUSAF @Terpeast @Bob Chill @CAPE @MillvilleWx you see this, thoughts?  

ETA: I did check and that trend is there across guidance, more pronounced in some, less in others...but seems the ones that trended the most with that are the ones that improved the most!  

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, StormyClearweather said:

FWIW

image.thumb.png.0e618d15286cb660f9bf0e3bb47c79ad.png

image.thumb.png.7411445095ac759860718458cae1029a.png

Thank you for this... just as I thought... the ratio start off good... but fade as the winds come in from the east.  I looked at the sounds for my area... I am just starting to learn to really read them, but the DGZ doesn't look the best either.  I am not trying to be Debbie Downer... I am just trying to analysis all the data available.

• Weenie 1

I'm excited about the possibility of matching or beating my biggest snow in two years, which is about 3.5" earlier this week. Plus when was the last time we had snow on snow?? The kid's school has already been closed all week, and it's looking like a near lock that it will be tomorrow as well. 

16 minutes ago, yoda said:

This snippet was in the AFD from LWX as well this morning 

There are indications of CSI banding moving from south to north
Friday morning, so areawide there could be brief reductions in
visibilities coupled with higher snowfall rates. Given cold
roads, travel could be slick/difficult Friday morning.

What is CSI banding?  Does that have to do with coastal influence? 

11 minutes ago, wawarriors4 said:

It's certainly an interesting change of events that has seemed to bring my area (around FXBG) back in the game a bit. I won't fully believe it until Snow is falling, but the trend is there. Cautious optimism for Snow on Snow....

not sure what to think of that max down by you...seems really odd.  but I am pulling for you!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexD1990 said:

DT on FB talking about upping his numbers on his next snowfall map :rolleyes:

So we have seen 0.5” to 10” with glumness last night and better today. It’s going to be longer duration than thought and again mostly light but not as light as much as last time.

2-4” throughout DC area best call 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, blizzardmeiser said:

But he is very appreciative of any feedback or criticism he receives... He really handles it well....

I’ve always said that he is most excellent at discussing what it takes for snow around here. However for some reason that skill does not carry over to assessing actual events. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic