Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Thread 3: Obs and Disco

stormtracker

11 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

Side note, how do you guys attach your pics in here. I've tried and every pic I took with my phone today it's saying are too large to attach. Just normal phone camera 

I email the photo to myself on my iphone and when I send it, I get a query of what size photo do I want to send.  I send medium and then copy and paste into the thread here.

2 minutes ago, wxmvpete said:

850mb warm air advection continues to increase with 850mb frontogenesis that will support a band of heavier snow N&W of DC in the coming hours. What becomes the wildcard is the approach of a 500mb jet streak over the OH Valley overnight. At the nose of the jet, divergent flow atop the atmosphere will support healthy vertical velocities 12Z Tuesday. This is driving the snowier solutions from northern MD into eastern PA. The new NAM seems to feature similar setup.

85mb Frontogenesis.JPG

RAP 500mb.JPG

500mb VVs.JPG

Really starting to see returns filling in at higher radar tilts in western VA. What originally featured drier returns around 4,800ft out near the I-66/I-81 merger (around 850mb) is showing brighter returns. For those who have patiently waited in Northern MD, those heavier rates will be realized soon.

KLWX - Super-Res Reflectivity 3, 8_52 PM.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, wxmvpete said:

Really starting to see returns filling in at higher radar tilts in western VA. What originally featured drier returns around 4,800ft out near the I-66/I-81 merger (around 850mb) is showing brighter returns. For those who have patiently waited in Northern MD, those heavier rates will be realized soon.

So happy for all the mets that post here, you @wxmvpete, @MillvilleWx, @WxMan1, @WxUSAF, @Terpeast and so forth!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

Funny with all those location names and Linton Hall.   Which is my street.  Odd 

Radar just went green for me. Yay. Been waiting for the good stuff. Thanks for posting!

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, TinGTown said:

Still no flakes in Georgetown (DC) for several hours.  It's now a misty rain. What are we to expect?

If you were able to post *current* pictures of the rain (and no snow) you've been experiencing the last several hours, we MIGHT believe you... but we're betting you can't/won't do that.

7 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Great post and good commentary. The band moves generally NW over the burbs to Mt. PSU crew in the early AM hours and there is absolutely influence from the h5 jet. Starting to see more and more influence in the short term hi res models. I think places north of Baltimore from Westminster over to Bel Air could cash in big time since they'll get both parts of the storm. 

You're saying Mt. PSU and Mappyland find a way to jack? Say it ain't so...