Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Thread 3: Obs and Disco

stormtracker

1 minute ago, weathercoins said:

Attempted to drive from Takoma Park to Rockville and turned around.  Side roads in surprisingly bad shape apreset and even New Hampshire covered.  Saw some cars slipping. 

… I was in upstate NY last weekend and the difference in comfort driving in snow always gets me 

It's not that I don't trust my own abilities, I don't trust anyone else on driving in snow. I was out earlier and with snow covered road had a person tailgating me with 2 completely open lanes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kay said:

Dang this .5 is uniform...Smithsburg, Westminster, Parkton, here, HdG. YOU get a half inch, and YOU. get a half inch, and etc

eta street caving!

Took us a bit to get into the nicer returns, but nice to see uniformed totals from south to north 

• Like 2

Attempted to drive from Takoma Park to Rockville and turned around.  Side roads in surprisingly bad shape apreset and even New Hampshire covered.  Saw some cars slipping. 

… I was in upstate NY last weekend and the difference in comfort driving in snow always gets me 

Yup. Grew up near the Catskills. I used to drive around in 6+” storms regularly. As well as in my college days in buffalo. They know how to treat roads up there. Roads will be wet pavement with 7-8” OTG and snow falling. Here? If there’s 1-2” OTG and falling snow it can still be quite dangerous. Huge difference.

34 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

I believe it. DC was under better banding most of the day

36 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

About 2.5" at Dupont Circle in DC

wow.  just walked the dog.  still not a flake I Georgetown. as I was getting close to home, a light drizzle started but no snow.

• Weenie 2

7 minutes ago, Warm Nose said:

There's a known radar hole in the Shen Valley due to terrain. That being said, it does look a decent amount of drier air is moving this way.

6 minutes ago, Solution Man said:

I know that Bull Run Mountain has a radar hole

A great way to overcome that is look at the ASOS stations in WV. So long as they have visibility under 7 miles there's still snow coming our way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2