• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential extensive winter event, I-95 west and with again a chance for NYC first inch(es) of snow Mon or more likely Tue Jan 16, 2024 (serves as OBS thread as well)

wdrag

Forgive the off topic question (but since this where folks are...)

Does anyone know where you can get historic hourly data for a station? In this case, Central Park. Honestly would only want the past month or so, but will take more if available.

20 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

But for a good part of that quarter inch of freezing rain along the north shore, the NAM forecast soundings shows a 50 - 100mb deep sub freezing layer (decreasing over time) from the surface up*.  I forget the magic numbers, but I'd imagine that some of that fzr would be sleet.  3k NAM does eventually get to an obvious fzr sounding and then a wee bit of plain drizzle before things cool again.

I'll take a stand and go with  4" in my neighborhood.  How much it packs down with the phase shifts is TBD.

*Caveat is I'm extrapolating from the skew-Ts on the free TT site.  Hard to be precise on some of that fine stuff.

NAM should have stuck to its guns.  It was showing us not getting above freezing (or barely getting above freezing) in yesterdays runs before it lost the plot overnight.

As for my 4", not looking good.

31.2° here with some occasional light freezing rain. Been stuck between 31.1° and a max of 31.4° for a few hours.  Not the most efficient ice accretions, but its telling that the snow in the trees hasn't budged after several hours of rain.

2 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Central Park's accumulation is 1.6" so far.

HREF mean was fairly close in the end.  We simply failed on the upside potential which I felt was good as models tend to underdo WAA snows in weak setups like this...that idea worked in PHL/BWI but not here

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Just posted on fb

Here are the latest Snowfall (storm total) reports for our 6 climate sites.

EWR - 2.1

NYC - 1.6

LGA - 1.9

JFK - 2.0

ISP - 2.1

BDR - 2.0

Amazing in these small storms how that extra half inch to an inch always appears over Newark then disappears in the 5 miles to Central Park and reappears again in the 5 miles to LaGuardia.

It must have something to do with the high mountain ranges in between Newark and LaGuardia. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

HREF mean was fairly close in the end.  We simply failed on the upside potential which I felt was good as models tend to underdo WAA snows in weak setups like this...that idea worked in PHL/BWI but not here

Yup. Dca and bwi both got 4+

3 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Yup. Dca and bwi both got 4+

There are many cases of SW-NE moving weak forcing events which overperformed in DCA/BWI and zonked out here...some have even done the reverse....1/19/02 is a good example of one that pulsed over DCA they had 5-10 inches and here we got the generally forecast 2-3...there are many others too but that one stands out for sure.  12/90 is one that did the opposite, it badly disappointed down there and pulsed up here and we saw 5-8.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HVSnowLover said:

Almost all models still show a bit more snow later from NYC on NW with around an inch more Westchester on north.

Don't need a model to know that.  I've seen this situation many times where snow ends as rain but the temperatures fail to budge above freezing and I don't recall it ever not ending as a period of snow.  Whether its a coating on the ice or another inch, it's inevitable.

44 minutes ago, hooralph said:

Forgive the off topic question (but since this where folks are...)

Does anyone know where you can get historic hourly data for a station? In this case, Central Park. Honestly would only want the past month or so, but will take more if available.

Midwest Regional Climate Center has hourly data.

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

There are many cases of SW-NE moving weak forcing events which overperformed in DCA/BWI and zonked out here...some have even done the reverse....1/19/02 is a good example of one that pulsed over DCA they had 5-10 inches and here we got the generally forecast 2-3...there are many others too but that one stands out for sure.  12/90 is one that did the opposite, it badly disappointed down there and pulsed up here and we saw 5-8.

And 12/90 was forecast to be 1 to 3 as of that morning before being bumped to 3 to 6 later that afternoon so a definite overperformer