• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7 Storm Discussion: we’re due?

WxUSAF

3 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

We don’t have that pattern in place. 

3 minutes ago, Ji said:

the high is soo far north though

Agree. One mitigating factor is a southeast wind is an upslope wind for areas to the west. It would help to have that low actually be more toward the cost than it is currently modeled and to have that high closer to the U.S. border.

2 minutes ago, DarkSharkWX said:

yeah this is def gonna be a nowcast event, one small tick/shift colder/warmer is a huge difference esp for like NW moco/E loudoun

This is one of those events where we don't really know what's going to happen until the precip actually starts coming down.

• Like 12

GFS looks warm. Low tracks over southern bay onto Eastern Shore. Not sure the metros will see anything at all out of this. Good luck to those far Northwest folks who still have a chance. Hope you guys get a nice storm. See you in the long range thread!

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

Just now, osfan24 said:

GFS looks warm. Low tracks over southern bay onto Eastern Shore. Not sure the metros will see anything at all out of this. Good luck to those far Northwest folks who still have a chance. Hope you guys get a nice storm. See you in the long range thread!

at this point most globals really don't matter, just watch mesos, we likely have to nowcast anyways

GFS is wetter again here. I have no sounding at any point that would suggest anything but snow. I’m skeptical of a 5:1 snowfall ratio. One thing is obvious since last night though, the low track is decidedly more inland. As modeled.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ji said:
the high is soo far north though

The main idea all week has been for the high we’re seeing today to slide right off the coast and a return flow ahead of the next lp. There is the other high building over Canada, but that seems disconnected from the cold we’re seeing today (and too far north). Maybe the higher elevations can still win on cad, though.

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

GFS is wetter again here. I have no sounding at any point that would suggest anything but snow. I’m skeptical of a 5:1 snowfall ratio. One thing is obvious since last night though, the low track is decidedly more inland. As modeled.

You know the drill, those on the all snow side but close to the R/S line will get hit hardest with that thump and rates. 

Just now, 87storms said:

The main idea all week has been for the we’re seeing today to slide right off the coast and a return flow ahead of the next lp. There is the other high building over Canada, but that seems disconnected from the cold we’re seeing today (and too far north). Maybe the higher elevations can still win on cad, though.

Higher elevations lose cad the quickest.

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yeah, not the typical cad setup.  The warm intrusion is off the ocean and not from the southwest.

yep. once winds shift to come from the east, the warmer air will filter in. 

Yeah, not the typical cad setup.  The warm intrusion is off the ocean and not from the southwest.

I think it’s ultimately a product of not having sustained blocking. I wonder if this is the type of setup where the Catoctins help keep Hagerstown on the cold side…almost like a reverse cad lol. Maybe to a lesser degree the rolling hills southeast of Frederick help keep temps at bay. The latter might be wishful thinking.

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

GFS looks awesome for the Northern Shenandoah Valley and the Panhandle. Heavy snow bomb during the daylight hours. Sign me up. Very similar to the RGEM with total qpf:

qpf_acc-imp.us_ma.png

That’s a lot of precip falling in a relatively short time.  Hoping the Euro steps up its totals soon.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

GFS looks awesome for the Northern Shenandoah Valley and the Panhandle. Heavy snow bomb during the daylight hours. Sign me up. Very similar to the RGEM with total qpf:

qpf_acc-imp.us_ma.png

Beautiful! 1” of liquid in my IMBY! Hopefully I can get 5 minutes of flurries before the switchover to rain. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That’s a lot of precip falling in a relatively short time.  Hoping the Euro steps up its totals soon.

It’d be even sweeter if most of that qpf that falls along I-95 as the gfs depicts falls when temps are still cold enough for frozen. Sucks not having everyone in on the fun for this one.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

I wonder if there should be a NW/SE division for Frederick and Carroll Counties?  (Sorry if there already are).  There will be a big difference between say Urbana and Thurmont

image.png.85444ee43022c4039f993b13fdb71cf2.png

I agree with Frederick, use US 15 as the divider. Carroll I'd keep the same.

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That’s the big shift on the NAMs. The low position is now drastically mor inland and north than it was at 0z. Hence more southerly wind vs southeast. It evidently is making a huge difference.

But the Euro has had that feature for days.  Here's a 90hr forecast valid a 7PM Saturday.  image.png.b574c874d5b24fd8b622f252a0f4a96c.png

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Its radar watching time now. Tons of moisture getting tapped out of the gulf right now. Probably why the GFS juiced up a little bit. 

If only we could get some of that rain. We got Lucy'd last night. With a 90 percent probability of rain.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic