Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec/Jan Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

47 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Listen, hold on the storm talk until I return from Mexico on the 2nd.  If you root for a storm and it comes on the 1st, there’s going to be mysterious “server down” messages on the board from like 12/30-1/1. I’m at a bar at DFW waiting on my next flight and Cape’s posts have mitigated the anger that i paid $37 for a shrimp po boy and a beer. I don’t need this stress worrying about 1/1. 

Where is Chuck and his fever dream posts when you need them? 

See…I fired up r/mid_atlantic_wx for just such occasions when the server craps out unexpectedly.

:wub:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

We had a few small events in 14-15 prior to mid-February, but people here were absolutely losing their minds because SNE was having an absolute parade of KUs and we were smoking cirrus. The 3-4 weeks starting at Valentine’s Day changed our opinion quickly of that winter.

That was the year SNE had so much snow that massive icicles were plummeting from buildings  downtown in BOS wreaking all shades of havoc. Then the worm tuned and we got a good deal of snow.

4 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

13-14 was kinda wall to wall. Early Dec produced (very good N-W). Late Dec got super warm and freaked everyone out. By first week of Jan it completely flipped and we got a moderate cold storm (Jan 7th maybe?).  History after that... I'll never forget the all snow/cold west track... super anomalous. 

2015 was an epic disaster until Vday. Pure insanity in SNE. Was hard to watch lol

I actually consider 2015 to be wall to wall.  We had a coating in November (I was living in Bethesda at the time), several inches from (I think) a clipper on Jan 6 (that might be the cold storm you're referring to, though I think DC didn't do as well with that one), and then a couple of minor events on Jan 21 and Jan 26.

2014 started early, too, with that Dec 8 Germantown-area system, but we did have to wait until Jan 21 to get the first snow-drought buster (which followed the 2011-2013 situation that's similar to the one we're in now).

The GEPS is the fastest with the pattern progression, likely too fast, but by the end you can already see the Aleutian low resuming and the central pac ridge shifting back into to epo domain.
IMG_0504.thumb.png.26b6a9e190fdc5ddef984512d97c6a24.png

By the time the east warms the seeds of the next cold shot are already loading. This time with a -nao and a colder regime to start. 

We very well might snow with this initial favorable window Jan 1-6 but I’m still confident in the progression that when things reload mid January that’s when it gets REALLY good. 

• Like 17

5 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

13-14 was kinda wall to wall. Early Dec produced (very good N-W). Late Dec got super warm and freaked everyone out. By first week of Jan it completely flipped and we got a moderate cold storm (Jan 7th maybe?).  History after that... I'll never forget the all snow/cold west track... super anomalous. 

2015 was an epic disaster until Vday. Pure insanity in SNE. Was hard to watch lol

2013-14 is my favorite season by far. From January on it was wonderful.

CMaMupl.jpg

Meanwhile 2015 was an epic disaster. That’s how The Panic Room was established. :lol: 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, 87storms said:

Hobbyist analysis here, but it looks like a zonal flow develops around that time on the GEFS...which is probably ideal at this point to try to put a halt to these nw tracks.

That is not a zonal flow. There is a pronounced ridge in western Canada and some troughing out west. Zonal flow would look something like this: https://mattsweatherrapport.blogspot.com/2017/11/zonal-flow-and-shortwaves-why-we-havent.html

Pretty classic looks on the means for the 6-7th. Although there won't be a sustained block in place, the timing looks good with predecessor waves lowering heights in the 50-50 region and building h5 heights near GL overtop. That should place surface HP in a favorable position that allows a northerly flow into a developing storm tracking northward along the east coast. The -EPO/TPV combo will have cooled central/eastern Canada to close to normal temps, so cold enough air for snow(given the track) should be available. Game on baby.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2