Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

This from GaWx on the main board:

Wow! The chance for a major, and possibly even an extreme SSW in early Jan is even higher! On Jan 9th, the EPS mean of 101 members shows a mere 14 m/s vs climo way up at 35! There are so many members with a major SSW that it will be tough to count! This appears to be at a whopping 45%+ for a major, easily the highest yet beating yesterdays ~38%. This has ~~30% of the 101 members down to sub -10 m/s, 12 sub -20, 8 sub -25, and 2 sub -30:

IMG_8545.png.4c0c4bbab9e3d2184be7195a07be9308.png

Regardless of what ends up happening wxwise this winter, I'm 100% accepting of whatever occurs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Ratios are not going to be close to 10:1, but another elevational paste job seems likely for most of NNE. With the CAD bringing paste to lower els in NH/ME.C99E1343-2B77-444E-9C2D-CB09654B5587.thumb.jpeg.4d8da26e0cbed069f3872ddc27e38b66.jpeg

I really like the look of the Euro/NAM postive snow depth change maps, which of course put it right on the razor's edge of warning for many. 

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s a shitty block too far north. This shouldn’t be surprising with a deep trough out west. 

Doesn't look that deep to me and we've had plenty of winter months with strong Atlantic blocking with meh conditions out west that still delivered. PNA reading is positive actually 

Block location isn't bad either. Last December the block was too far south for us. 

23 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I really like the look of the Euro/NAM postive snow depth change maps, which of course put it right on the razor's edge of warning for many. 

Your zones SE of the mountains and on the coastal plain can’t be an easy forecast.  Could be a birch flattening 5-8” warning paste job, or 1-2” of slop, with white rain.  I feel like the same is true here in the valley between the ridgelines.

If places get a good quick 0.40-0.75” in 6-hours, with -1C at 925, it should snow even down low.  The longevity of the event also means the highest totals will be higher up, the places that don’t have to rely on rates to accumulate more efficiently.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Your zones SE of the mountains and on the coastal plain can’t be an easy forecast.  Could be a birch flattening 5-8” warning paste job, or 1-2” of slop, with white rain.  I feel like the same is true here in the valley between the ridgelines.

If places get a good quick 0.40-0.75” in 6-hours, with -1C at 925, it should snow even down low.  The longevity of the event also means the highest totals will be higher up, the places that don’t have to rely on rates to accumulate more efficiently.

Places like CON really show the uncertainty. Bufkit says the NAM snows about 4.5 inches (compacts down to around 3), but for most of that time especially Sunday the snow growth zone isn't saturated. Hard to believe daytime snowfall accumulating in an environment like that.

6 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Doesn't look that deep to me and we've had plenty of winter months with strong Atlantic blocking with meh conditions out west that still delivered. PNA reading is positive actually 

Block location isn't bad either. Last December the block was too far south for us. 

Yeah this is a good PNA look. :lol: 

IMG_4245.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

First WWA of the season for Pit 2

MEZ025>028-032045-
/O.EXB.KGYX.WW.Y.0026.231204T0000Z-231204T1800Z/
Sagadahoc-Lincoln-Knox-Coastal Waldo-
Including the cities of Rockport, Wiscasset, Hope, Bath, Bremen,
Arrowsic, Thomaston, Boothbay Harbor, Owls Head, Waldoboro,
Bowdoinham, Phippsburg, Rockland, Bowdoin, Alna, Camden, Belfast,
Searsmont, Damariscotta, Dresden, Whitefield, Northport,
Lincolnville, Topsham, Bristol, Newcastle, and Appleton
332 AM EST Sun Dec 3 2023

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 1 PM
EST MONDAY...

* WHAT...Wet snow expected. Total snow accumulations up to two
  inches.

* WHERE...Coastal Waldo, Knox, Lincoln, and Sagadahoc Counties.

* WHEN...From 7 PM this evening to 1 PM EST Monday.

* IMPACTS...Light snowfall accumulations are expected as periods of
  snow showers impact the region. Be prepared for variable travel
  conditions and slow down when you approach areas of heavier
  snowfall as road conditions could change rapidly. Even light
  snowfall amounts can accumulate on roads and cause dangerous
  driving conditions due to snow covered roads. The hazardous
  conditions could impact the Monday morning commute.

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ratios are not going to be close to 10:1, but another elevational paste job seems likely for most of NNE. With the CAD bringing paste to lower els in NH/ME.C99E1343-2B77-444E-9C2D-CB09654B5587.thumb.jpeg.4d8da26e0cbed069f3872ddc27e38b66.jpeg

Last December's big dump here was 9:1 and came at temps 30-31.  Don't need 10:1 to have fun.  Current forecast for here is 7-12.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah this is a good PNA look. :lol: 

IMG_4245.png

Just a quick glance at the ENS, awful amount of blues around AK and the west coast...Maybe SNE gets lucky over the next couple of weeks, but moving forward oof. I will end up burning less wood in December than I did in November...

3 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Just a quick glance at the ENS, awful amount of blues around AK and the west coast...Maybe SNE gets lucky over the next couple of weeks, but moving forward oof. I will end up burning less wood in December than I did in November...

That has still got to be better than the deep blues buried in Cabo San Lucas to Mammoth Mountain …maybe especially as long as S Hudson Bay has some blues 

6 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

That has still got to be better than the deep blues buried in Cabo San Lucas to Mammoth Mountain …maybe especially as long as S Hudson Bay has some blues 

Still a Nina hangover look too. Not really seeing Nino driving yet. End of GEFS look like last December lol. 

• Like 2