• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Lee--Glorified Nor'Easter or Legit Tropical? Near Miss or Direct Hit?

WxWatcher007

21 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Yep the model upgrade ruined it.

I think much of the effort is pouring in ensembles. Improving those and creating new tools for visualization. Increasingly I think deterministic models are becoming just another ensemble member which can ping around between the goal posts. 

NCEP is moving towards a paradigm with a 60 hour hi-res model and beyond that moving more towards the ensemble space.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I think much of the effort is pouring in ensembles. Improving those and creating new tools for visualization. Increasingly I think deterministic models are becoming just another ensemble member which can ping around between the goal posts. 

NCEP is moving towards a paradigm with a 60 hour hi-res model and beyond that moving more towards the ensemble space.

Aren't they doing something with the euro op too? Like incorporating that into the ensemble and not having it stand alone?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the ECMWF is still the best and I lean on it the most when it comes to medium range forecasting, but the gap has closed. I'd still say that the EPS is the highest skill model, but you have to take other pieces of guidance into account more so now

UKMET has also done pretty well overall with the tropics for track (not intensity though). It was doing the best for Lee with the Euro second best as per graphs that were posted earlier. Also, it did great for Ian last year as regards both the FL and SC landfalls and I think it was pretty good for Idalia.

There was never really a good chance of this hitting Southern New England. It was even a stretch touching Cape cod. I'd rather have a massive blizzard than a devastating hurricane. You still get all the excitement, and yes you still get some issues with a blizzard, but you don't get the widespread damage that you would get with a hurricane.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

There was never really a good chance of this hitting Southern New England. It was even a stretch touching Cape cod. I'd rather have a massive blizzard than a devastating hurricane. You still get all the excitement, and yes you still get some issues with a blizzard, but you don't get the widespread damage that you would get with a hurricane.

In no way is a blizzard more exciting than 100mph or even 120mph winds jmo

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

33 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

In any case, this is the time when 30–40-mile shifts mean a lot. No argument there.

Yes to this... In this case for eastern MA, even a 20-mile shift will cause significant forecast changes in terms of tree damage and power outage potential...   During all storms that have the potential for meaningful numbers of power outages, I'm involved with the pre-positioning of generators for sale to the public at a variety of New England stores (one client with dozens of stores throughout New England).  Given limited supply, we try to make a call as to where the greatest numbers of units should be positioned prior to the storm's impacts...  But we do not want to leave stores not near the core of the highest threat area without some units, in case there is a shift in the wind gusts forecast... In this case, they have to be at the clients stores by Friday afternoon at the latest.  The bottom line, a 20-to-30-mile shift in the track can be very impactful to what I do and the clients bottom line.

Granted the track with Lee is unique, we’ve seen this same thing play out almost every year. 

A tropical system threatens the East Coast. It’s not unprecedented for landfall, but it’s relatively uncommon in most cases. Model noise shows a few runs that either make or threaten landfall and people start freaking out. I did play into the hype a bit, but it’s time to accept that any substantial westward trend is done  

What percentage of the model runs/ensemble members showed a New England landfall over the past 3-4 days? 10%? 20%? 5%?

I still think there’s a legit possibility that the Cape and parts of coastal Maine are affected with tropical storm force conditions and some flooding, but anyone hoping for a repeat of Bob, Gloria or Sandy are going to be disappointed. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Quincy said:

What percentage of the model runs/ensemble members showed a New England landfall over the past 3-4 days? 10%? 20%? 5%?

A bit more than that for the ensemble runs. Yesterday's 18Z EPS was the peak with ~70% NE US landfalls with 30% (15 members) just for NE US excluding Maine. At least two other EPS runs since yesterday had ~50% landfalling in New England. The GEFS for NE US landfalls peaked at over 40% on one run three days ago and also had a run over 30% two days ago. But since yesterday, it has been mainly ~20% or less. Thus the EPS peaked after the GEFS backed down.