Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discobs 2023

George BM

On 8/27/2023 at 4:41 PM, stormy said:

At 12z the 3k NAM nest predicted .18" rain thru Tuesday for my neck of the woods. Now at 18z it predicts 5.05" in the next 24 hrs.

Without a doubt, a Flood Warning will be issued tomorrow afternoon..................... Heaviest rain 10 am - 4 pm.  

A few days ago I believed only the GFS and ECM were on steroids..............................

24 hrs. later I have received 5 drops instead of 5 inches.

This is not 15 day low resolution wish-casting from the GFS. This is 24 hr. high resolution from the NAM 3k. 

The GFS and ECMWF regularly average 8 - 15 degrees inflated with heat at 24 hrs...  Now the NAM 3k misses by 5 inches with 24 hr. rainfall.

I believe Gordon Barnes could have done better with his primitive tools in 1975!!!

Do we continue to delude ourselves with 21st century high tech??

33 minutes ago, stormy said:

This is not 15 day low resolution wish-casting from the GFS. This is 24 hr. high resolution from the NAM 3k. 

The GFS and ECMWF regularly average 8 - 15 degrees inflated with heat at 24 hrs...  Now the NAM 3k misses by 5 inches with 24 hr. rainfall.

I believe Gordon Barnes could have done better with his primitive tools in 1975!!!

Heavy Rain in your P&C is the kiss of death. Welcome to the club.

56 minutes ago, stormy said:

I saw your post then looked at the NAMs last night...I was thinking without a tropical or some cutoff low again my backyard  may not see another 5 inches of total precip the rest of the year..  but I guess the model did get the totals right just 100 miles to our south and east

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stormy said:

Hello my friend down south!

Please educate yourself a little from psu:   https://learningweather.psu.edu/node/91

I admit, I didn’t look at the NAM too closely after your original post. I wasn’t sure if there was some bias/bug thing the 3k NAM does sometimes. If the numbers it was showing verified somewhere, then cool! I haven’t been looking at weather stuff much at all except for in class when we look at the models and stuff.

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

18z GFS says 8 consecutive 95F or higher days in September. Has that happened before?

Here? No clue, but I kind of hope that’s wrong. After watching the midwest and plains bake last week, I'm good without that kind of prolonged heat

fall begins Friday, bring me 50s/60s 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

W nor NW flow obviously will do it.  SW cannot do it.  S flow can't get it done anymore.  And now E flow can barely generate a cloud, much less a drop of rain. 

Like it’s always been said, once a pattern is established, it will rain where it has continued to rain and it will snow where it has continued to snow. If anyone else with more knowledge once to chime in, I’m pretty sure we need an overall major pattern shift. The overall rule of thumb is a rainy west coast=a relatively dry east coast and it seems like it’s been the way for the most part this summer. 

4 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

W nor NW flow obviously will do it.  SW cannot do it.  S flow can't get it done anymore.  And now E flow can barely generate a cloud, much less a drop of rain. 

Picked up another 0.01 this evening - raises my monthly total to 0.56 Meanwhile the last 36 hours has seen heavy heavy rain and numerous warnings to our east , south , west , and northwest..  Almost like the letter U... With most of the Valley from northern Waynesboro up to Winchester being a desert in the middle of a rainforest...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Flood watch for the northern Shenandoah Desert including Winchester area -- we'll see!

I've had no rain since August 8 and don't expect any this week or any time soon.  The 90s and dry next week will finish a lot of stuff off.

From what? The chance of showers today and tonight? Models don't show much. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

77 and mostly cloudy. With the trees done pretending that they need to stay green with the lack of rain and starting to change behind the house it feels like a proper early fall evening. 

We've had plenty of rain and are still losing some leaves. Just a normal process as the trees have been sucking up lots of water throughout the summer and shed some leaves to keep from becoming too dry. I'm sure places that have gotten less rain would lose more leaves, but it's not really a strange occurrence.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jrlg1181 said:

Picked up another 0.01 this evening - raises my monthly total to 0.56 Meanwhile the last 36 hours has seen heavy heavy rain and numerous warnings to our east , south , west , and northwest..  Almost like the letter U... With most of the Valley from northern Waynesboro up to Winchester being a desert in the middle of a rainforest...

I have received 1.12"            30% of normal

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic