• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Last Hurrah Obs Thread: 3/13-15/23

WxWatcher007

One thing you’ll just about never see is elevation dependent ratios. This event would’ve been a great case for sampling elevations below a certain value and drilling down ratios. But an NBM will never do that. Most models just show ratios until just above the surface.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You clear every 2-3 hours?

I clear whenever I get my ass up and outside lol.  Not an official measurer.  Sometimes every 2 hours, sometimes every 4.  My best guess is 11.5.  Did you see my earlier post to Chris about the huge local differences just in Boscawen?  Hoping we can stay in some good banding and break 15.

• Weenie 1

55 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

IMO, the snowfall maps have been a detriment to the field. These things get tossed around left and right and literally all they do is create unrealistic expectations and create hype for the public. There is nothing worse then seeing 384-HR snow maps being thrown around all over social media or snow maps for a "D10 threat". There is absolutely ZERO reason. 

When an event happens the event is then measured solely on how the f****** snow maps "performed". WHO GIVES A SHIT HOW THE HELL THEY PERFORMED. 

Speaking of QPF though, I think models have come along way with QPF forecasting. But I think mesos have really helped with this. 

A Post of The Year Award Nominee!!!.....I agree 100%

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

this will change A LOT but heres a preliminary map based on reports so far. The reports are from varying times so take it with a grain of salt.

Ill do a full map when its all said and done and probably one for CT/MA/RI with that new map i made for SNE

03_14.23_jdj_snowfall_totals_preliminary.thumb.jpg.261a48a11b84dc566a4476fed6f45a93.jpg

0.6" here this morning followed by hours and hours of 34-35F white rain. Brown, wet ground now. 220 ft elevation.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

I clear whenever I get my ass up and outside lol.  Not an official measurer.  Sometimes every 2 hours, sometimes every 4.  My best guess is 11.5.  Did you see my earlier post to Chris about the huge local differences just in Boscawen?  Hoping we can stay in some good banding and break 15.

Ah. That will overinflate. You should never clear more frequently than every 6hrs. I just measure on my board hourly, but only clear it at the 6-8hr frequencies.

What do you have for an untouched new total on the ground?

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, wkd said:

If people would look at the "total positive snow-depth change" instead of the 10:1 total snowfall maps their expectations would be more realistic.

It wasn’t about taking the 10:1 maps verbatim in a marginal setup like this, at least I wasn’t. It was about the constant rates that never materialized in the early afternoon like muddy said. Models didn’t show the dryslot getting this far north. 6+ on the coast was always going to be dependent on heavy rates after the flip and going to town for hours. That never happened 

• Thanks 1